Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE has ncountered a problem....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

when i go to google video i get this error or when i click on mail in hotmail i get the error.....i have researched and done all i have learned so far such as internet options, add-ons etc etc..... i did go to majorgeeks.com and used their protocall for cleaning....along with 5 sugested downloads and scans which did find stuff and made the problem worse...(couldnt get online at all) eventually after no responce from them i deleted all 5 programs and logs which got me back to the original problem. although i was also gettn a BSOD on occasion which i believe has subsided....i hope. i also installed IE 8 beta which didnt fix the problem so i went back to IE7.....is this a simple setting that i've overlooked or more serious which i am leaning more towards.....Im using a dell dimension 8300 - windows XP - zonealarm - bitdefender(that since the 5 scans nolonger starts up in the system tray) please im no computer wiz so let me know of anyother info i need to post.....this has been going on bout 3 monthes or more......thanks for your help!!!!!! this was originally posted in "am i infected" thread but was cleared via malwarebyts and tol to strart new thread hear......plese help i think im gonna get firefox but i would like this issue fixed first

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:22 AM

Foe the IE errors, try working through either or both of these:

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts

The Internet Explorer Error Reporting Tool

Try reinstalling Bitdefender to see if that fixes the startup issue.

#3 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

thank you much... i will get on his after work and see what happens....there are many other details...as all problems have.....i cannot use windows update...it took some time to finally update to SP3 but this didnt help either...also can i reinstall bitdefender without the disc.....? thx

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

can i reinstall bitdefender without the disc.....? thx

As long as you have your serial # you should be ok. Just go to the website & download similar version you have on your pc.

#5 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

ok i think the reinstall fixed the bitdefender thx.....i also followed the links and did the scan etc etc....still got problem so i went further....found this below and discovered that i do not have "UseCoInstall"......anythoughts......some reason google takes awhile to load but it does....however when i goto google video i get the error and when i check hotmail or goto microsoft update......gonna try tomorow to go around the router to see if that the problem...though i have several other computers working fine....

To work around this problem, disable the UseCoInstall registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\UseCoInstall
Double-click the UseCoInstall entry to open the Edit DWORD Value box.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit.
For more information about the UseCoInstall registry entry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:45 AM

There seems to be a hotfix provided by Microsoft relating to the error. Take a look here:

FIX: Windows Internet Explorer 7 may crash when you use it to visit a Web site

The link you will want to go to is at the top of the page under Hotfix Download Available. Should you want to install this yourself, you should create a System Restore point as a safety net. However, as a means of doublechecking, you should call them to verify that this is the correct hotfix.

Customer Service information

I would also urge you to run Windows Update prior to this, just to be sure that your system is up to date.

#7 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

microsoft literally spent hours and hours for 5 nights trying to resolve my problem.....apparently i have corrupt files as in each time a file/folder was replaced or repaired another became corrupt......windows was reinstalled.....that did not fix it either. so instead of reformatting we decided to go with firefox......im slowly gettn use to it and like it alot.....but still wish i could resolve the IE problem just for a little sercure feeling......perhaps there are still ideas or a hotfix to come......any thoughts? and either way i will continue to use firefox as long as the ie problem doesnt affect anything further....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users