Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Reverts back after Reboot?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jazzsax

jazzsax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:40 AM

Hello, I recently had an issue with some TSR's not loading into my systray,(they were running, and could not start them again, but they were not showing up as running in the systray) so I performed a system restore. This corrected the issue, but only until the next reboot. XP then reverts back to the screwy state. I chose a few different dates, thinking maybe they were corrupt, but to no avail, it always reverts back. It is driving me nuts, because any software install that needs a reboot is not there after the restore.:-) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Erik

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

Please run two online virus scans:

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.kaspersky.com/service?chapter=161739400#betatest

Then let us know if its working better and what the scans found.

#3 jazzsax

jazzsax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Grinler for the speedy reply. I took your advice and performed the 2 virus scans. They found nothing. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I am running AVG; always with the most current definitions, along with Microsoft Anti-Spyware, AdAware SE, and Spybot. Thinking I might have picked up a bug from somewhere that was my first plan of attack, but to no avail. I rebooted and I came back up not loading everything again. What do you recommend next? Thanks again for the help!

E :thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:11 PM

Its strange..i have seen programs crash and that makes the systray icons disappear even when they are running, but you will usually be notified of the crash. Do you have all the latest windows updates?

#5 jazzsax

jazzsax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

Yes I do, along with latest definitions. Would a repair installation be a good route? Thanks again.

Erik :thumbsup:

p.s. when it loads without all the icons, I check the ntbtlog file and alot of things are not loading. Maybe this will help. Again I am lost

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:47 PM

This prob wont work, but try updating your display driver and see if that helps. Also in your services control panel check and make sure RPC is started and running

#7 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:22 PM

let me get this straight

you want icons to show in your TASKBAR but they are NOT ?

start
properties
taskbar
check hide inactive icons
click customize
choose:
always show
always hide
ok
apply
ok

1st,i want you to shut OFF system restore
THEN DO the above

THEN restore system restore and create a FRESH [today] restore point from which to work from now on

doing a virus/spyware scan wouldn't hurt either before doing this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users