Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Law enforcement?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

I have an open request on the HJT Log forum

========================================
I AM NOT LOOKING FOR HELP WITH MY COMPUTER HERE
========================================

I am waiting for an HJT Team member to get back to me and will accept help only in that forum.

I am posting here in the spirit of the forum description:

Think you might be infected with a virus, spyware or worse. Don't know what to do or where to post? Start here and we'll help you figure it out. Or if you just want to vent about a PC invasion, then feel free to let it out! just keep it clean.
No HijackThis logs should be posted in this forum.

Anyway, we've established that I've been hit by some serious malware.

Is there a law enforcement agency (here in the States) that should be notified? Even if I only send them a "post mortem," it seems to me that someone in a position of authority should be keeping track of this stuff.

I also assume it would help my case -- in the event I didn't close down my bank accounts fast enough, etc. -- to have some sort of evidence that I tried to respond properly.

Anyway, I tried to find a forum where this would fit, and couldn't find a more appropriate one than this. Please move it if it belongs elsewhere.

And thanks!

Edited by Capn Easy, 11 December 2008 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

According to the description under the forum header, you're in the right spot, but I doubt if you will get any responses.
I will move you to General Chat, where you might get more of a response

Edited by garmanma, 11 December 2008 - 02:00 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

You can go to usa.gov and type in cyber-crime. (Not sure of spelling). Went there the other day. This is under the homeland security/fbi section, and you will have to fill out a long, long form. They also want you to preserve copies of any e-mails you have received. Mine is still in the spam folder. If I can figure out a safe way to print it out, i will. But I had received a letter purporting to be from the fbi, saying that I had been linked to terrorist activities, and that I could get a replacement card at the ATM Centre. Letter was from Nigeria, a fellow named Daniel Smith, with an untraceable domain. No, I didn't click on the letter, but hopefully the header wasn't infected.

Much improved reporting from a month ago, when I tried to report a fake e-mail from the u.s. postal service.

Be careful if communicating with your internet provider about spam e-mails and internet fraud; my two chats involving the reporting of fraud were terminated just before I could click on "send transcript." The first e-mail's header changed when I was discussing it with my provider, Earthlink, in an on-line chat, but after I had reported it to the fbi. Some infected e-mails will do that--change the header text.

Automated responses have also changed. As I suffered no monetary damage, they may not contact me, but at least I sent the address info to them for their tracking purposes.

Incidentally, of all the suspicious e-mails I've gotten since the Summer Olympics (and there were many), I've only reported the two that purported to be from U.S. government agencies. The rest were just deleted.

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the help, garmanma, and the reply, fuzzywuzzy6.

I'll check out the cyber-crime site.

I haven't had any suspicious emails, although I remain uncertain as to who might be looking over my shoulder as I type. :thumbsup:

#5 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

You could try sending your information to National Cyber-Forensics and Training Alliance which works closely with US Law Enforcement.

http://www.ncfta.net/default2.asp

Pass on any logs or other information and it could aid them in investigating cybercrime. The FBI itself researches very large criminal enterprises, so I don't recommend passing it on to them.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

Thanks, nospam. I reported it on the NCFTA site, but they also seem to be oriented towards crimes with known perpetrators and monetary loss. Of course I don't know who hit me and (as yet) have not incurred any loss.

But, I submitted a report.

#7 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Internet Crime Complaint Center (ic3)

from the homepage:

"The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).

IC3's mission is to serve as a vehicle to receive, develop, and refer criminal complaints regarding the rapidly expanding arena of cyber crime. The IC3 gives the victims of cyber crime a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of suspected criminal or civil violations. For law enforcement and regulatory agencies at the federal, state, local and international level, IC3 provides a central referral mechanism for complaints involving Internet related crimes."

there is also a way to fwd offending emails and these guys do track IP. you dont have to have actually been victimized to report; I had a suspicious email that turned out to be the Nigerian Scam that I sent to them -- they are very interested in anything even remotely resembling that.

#8 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

IC3 is a very good suggestion, I had forgotten about that organization, thanks for posting that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users