Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Fax Window

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theeviltwin69

theeviltwin69

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:55 AM

Hi all I am new to the forum as a poster but have been reading for a few weeks.hope to get some help. my OS stalls in start up and shut down intermittently I have gotten message PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING:HIDDEN FAX WINDOW during shutdown. my systems state is a
clean install XP media sp3
A/V = AVG 8.0FREE
PCTOOLS SPY DR
PCTOOLS THREATFIRE
PCTOOLS FIREWALL+
have done a bunch of stuff with MS live and support they told me i needed clean install did it and here i am with the same problem
@ first i thought it was ThreatFire problem but that worked for a while until last night when I shut down and got the error again so now I feel that this fax thing could have been the problem all along MS SUPPORT search turned up nothing on HIDDEN FAX NOT RESPONDING.

Just wanted to get this thread started as I am following the Preparation Guide from Grinnler. Hope you can help and thanks if you can :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/118046-45-microsoft

If you don't have the XP Fax function enabled...we'll try a different premise.

Louis

#3 theeviltwin69

theeviltwin69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

I have now finished the Kaspersky scan came back clean
have removed windows fax service in control panel>remove windows components, BUT I have a worry that some programs use that service for task tray notifications is this true?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

I don't follow your line of thought...faxing has nothing to do with anything other than faxing. If a user doesn't use a fax function...there is no reason for such to be enabled.

I've never used the XP fax function, there are online services that are better/easier when one has to do that.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...2october21.mspx

Louis

#5 theeviltwin69

theeviltwin69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

It's not really my thought process I just do not know that much about computers/how they work, the use of fax service by TASK TRAY NOTIFICATIONS was something I read in either here or XP SUPPORT. I did do what you suggested and removed fax services in add/remove windows components. After I did that I did get an error;TRAY CONNECTIONS NOT RESPONDING. I have rebooted my system a few times since then and have not gotten anything else. But my problem has been an intermitant one so I am not sure if this was a good fix,or not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users