Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Rom not recognised after new install of 98se.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leejam

leejam

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:54 AM

Hiya all,

My daughter's computer is a 98se IBM 300pl. It originally came from a computer reseller, and thus had 3Gb of bleep loaded on to the 6Gb hdd. I wiped the hdd and reinstalled 98se, now the cdrom is not recognised. It does not show up in hardware manager or device manager.

I have tried unplugging the IDE cable from the cdrom and rebooting, to make 98 think that there isn't a cdrom there. Apart from making the bios have chickens, it did nothing. I plugged it back in and rebooted. Bios had chickens again :thumbsup: but 98 didn't blink.

I can boot from the cdrom, but that's all...
:flowers:

Any ideas?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

Super weird!

It's hard to understand why you can boot from the drive but can't see it in Windows. But that is a good clue. Did you do anything inside the case before you reloaded Windows? The first thing I'd check is the cable - if you have another, try it. And also, the jumpers must be set correctly. I assume that you have two IDE connectors on the motherboard. Ideally, the hard drive should be in the primary IDE slot and the CD-Rom should be in the secondary IDE slot, in which case, the jumpers should be set to "master." However, this depends on whether you have any other drives or whether you are using only one of the slots. If both are on the same cable in the primary IDE slot, then the hard drive should be set to "master" and the CD-Rom should be set to "slave." Some computer builders like to save the price of a cable and use only one slot.

Remember to follow precautions for working inside the machine - unplug the power supply and touch the metal of the case before touching anything inside so that you discharge any static electricity in your body to the case rather than to electronic components.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:16 AM

Do you have the cdrom drivers that came with the computer?

edit c:\config.sys and add this line:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:mscd001

edit c:\autoexec.bat and add this line:

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001

Reboot and see if you can see the drive now

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

After reinstalling the operating system its not unusual to need drivers and sometimes a patch. Its possible this is neccessary in your case (although CD-ROM drivers are not normally needed)

In browsing the IBM site looking for info on your 300PL I found the following:

The following files are the driver and readme file for the VIA IDE Bus Master for the IBM PC300GL, type 6563, 6564, 6574, 6593, IBM PC300PL, type 6565, 6566 and Aptiva type 2178 and 2198 systems. These drivers are for the Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0 operating systems.

This driver corrects problems with CD-RW installed in these systems and running Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT operating systems.

I'm not saying this is what you need but it sure seems like a good possibility. Without knowing the type (eg type 6565, 6566 ) I can't be sure you need this driver. If you want to take a look you can find it here.

If you want us to do some more looking around post back with the type number and we'll see what we can find.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 leejam

leejam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:58 AM

I copied the files off the win98 cd and ran setup from the hdd. This time it worked.

Weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users