Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games gone awol

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldsoldier

oldsoldier

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:02 AM

My OS is MS Windows XP Professional SP2. About a month ago my Games, i.e., solitaire etc, disappeared. The desktop shortcut vanished and a manual search for the appropriate files proved negative. I think that it happened when I updated Norton System Works from Version 2003 to 2005. I wasn't too bothered about the loss at first because I had wasted time solitairing when I should have been working, but now I would like to have the Games back. I have the two MS Windows XP Professional installation discs. Could I get the Games back - from the discs ?

If "Yes", how, please ?

oldsoldier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:25 AM

Hi oldsoldier,

Please do the following:

Click START > open the Control Panel.

Click on ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS.

On the left side of the window, click ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS PROGRAMS.

A window will open - Windows Component Wizard.

Highlight ACCESSORIES AND UTILITIES and click on the DETAILS button.

You will see Accessories and GAMES. Make sure the GAMES box is checked. If it is already checked, uncheck it and and click ok. Let Windows Uninstall any thing that is left there. Now go back to the same place and put a check beside GAMES. This will reinstall the standard Windows games for you. Hopefully your games will be ready to play.

Good Luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Rigel, that worked.

Just one more question. When I hear my wife's footsteps, I have a need to hide what I'm doing. If she sees me playing solitaire, she says I'm playing, like a child, which I'm not. Is there a faster way to hide solitaire than to click the minimise button ?

oldsoldier

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:03 AM

Nothing wrong with a little solitare. :thumbsup:

Set your homepage in Internet Explorer (or whatever browser you use) to something like a newspaper or something the wife will not mind. Then move the icon for that browser to the quick launch bar (near the start button) and click that to open it. It will hide the game. You can also have the browser and the game open at the same time and simply click on the browser page at the bottom task bar, thus switching screens.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

Sounds to me like you need a "Boss/Wife" Protection program so...
Another option is QuickHideWindows made by CronoSoft Here

With this Program it hides every existence to the naked untrained eye of you top window. Just make sure its done b4 they/she can see screen.
Every Instance as in it doesn't show on taskbar/system tray/Applications in task manager. does still show in the processes running however. (in older versions) Ive never tried newer. I have heard the program is now free could just be try b4 you buy.
I use Version 1.8.5
Its very fast and quiet running you only see the screen once. (first time).

Bug I have encountered:
Only in IE 5/6 if you hide a webpage and load up another IE session the first one you hide disappears after 2nd webpage on second session
Example:
Im on BleepingComputer.com I Hide window then I load up Another IE Window (Hid page still recoverable) Load Up Google.com on New IE window (Hid page still there) Search for QuickHideWindows (Newpage Loads) (Hid Page no longer recoverable)

#6 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:40 PM

Many thanks gentlemen. I have gone the Leurgy way.

oldsoldier

#7 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

using installed games eats hard drive space
http://www.freelink.org/fun
all the games you'll ever need and more,lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic