Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There is no icons on start menu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stargate95

stargate95

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

I got a virus, this is not my computer, but my boyfriends and he is livid with me.

I was reading something on yahoo, and all of a sudden when I clicked on something things started popping up. I purchased the full version of malwarebites, cleaned a bunch of stuff. Now whenever I try to restart the computer unless it is in safe mode all I get is the background picture, no icons but usually a box saying something about outlook express 6 and the hourglass thing. If I hit Ctrl+alt+delete NOTHING happens.

I did all the steps, starting with updating to service pack 3 that is in the before you post a hijack log. BUT, the virus is gone, and I am left with a mess of a computer. I tried to do a system restore, but it will not let me. It says that I am not a system administrator, even if I am logged in as the admin. Otherwise it also says that a system restore is unable to be done.

What steps should I take? It can't be that bad if everything is working in safe mode, right? Give me some hope!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hi stargate95,

When did you do the preliminary cleaning procedures for the HJT and Malware Removal Forum? Did you go ahead and post all the results in the HJT forum? If not, you need to do this. The preliminary instructions have changed, but if you have the logs still, you could start by posting what you have. It sounds like there was more than one infection on your computer and your computer is still infected. It will be important when you post there to mention that you installed SP3 on a computer which may not have been completely clean.

Zllio

#3 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Try smitfraud

Just google it and run it in safe mode. Also stay off the internet, because you could very well pick up more malware.

~StickDude101

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users