Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems writing to CD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 roo3006

roo3006

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

I am having problems burning pictures onto a CD. I used to be able to do it last year or so; I don't know what has changed. I have Windows XP, and am using its built-in CD writing utility (I think that's its name). The pictures are in JPG format. I tried going to the picture and doing a "save as," then saving it to the E drive (DVD-RW). The little bubble comes up that I have files waiting to be written, but when I click the bubble as instructed, the E drive comes up with nothing on it. Where did the stuff go? More importantly, what do I do from here? Thanks!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

Try another method.
Click on the picture to highlight it. to choose more than one pic, hold down the ctrl key while clicking on the pic) On the left side of the page-under Picture Tasks, choose Copy to cd.
After you do this with all the pics, do they show up in your E drive? If they do, burn them to the disc.

#3 roo3006

roo3006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

When I try that, a box comes up saying that Windows encountered a problem trying to copy the file. "What would you like to do?" My options are retry, and cancel. Retry gets me nowhere, and no other information is offered for me to look into it. :thumbsup:

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

Just a thought. RightClick on the picture/choose Properties/see if there are any ticks under Attributes. If so, remove them and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 roo3006

roo3006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

No luck. Thanks, though.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

The way I do it, is to RightClick on the pic, or pix, and choose SEND TO/CD drive. Then go to the drive under My Computer and choose WRITE THESE FILES TO CD. Give it a name and choose NEXT - chuck in a CD and wait for it to work.

If this doesn't work for you then I'd guess something is broken but I have no idea what. To be on the safe side, I would get MalwareBytesAntiMalware/update it, and run a Quick Scan anyway.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

Never was satisfied with Windows burning abilities.
It was "iffy", at best.
That's why I switched to a third party app.
Haven't had a single problem since.
Might be an option, you want to check out.
I've been using the free version of DeepBurner for years, with no problems.

Edited by tg1911, 13 December 2008 - 12:04 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 roo3006

roo3006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

I downloaded the MalwareBytesAntiMalware, which was cool. It found 4 issues.
Then I downloaded and used the DeepBurner, which I thought was great, at first. It said it burned it all onto the CD (hooray!), but then when I tried to look at the results, nothing was there. The E drive (writer) shows nothing on the CD, and the F drive doesn't even recognize it as a CD (it does recognize others). Could dirty eyes in the drives be the problem?

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

I'd try cleaning the drives with a cleaning disk.
Did DeepBurner give you any kind of error?
Try burning something, besides pictures, and see if it works.
Is this the same brand of CD's that you've had success with before, or a different brand?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 roo3006

roo3006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

I will go buy a cleaning disk.
DeepBurner did not give me an error, but here's what happened: it made this "tada" noise and ejected the CD, saying it had completed the job. Then the CD Writing Wizard came up, saying it could not complete writing to the CD because it was ejected. When I tried to put it back in (for giggles) it did not recognize that a CD was in there.
I tried to do just a Word document, but the same thing happened.
These are the same CDs as always.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

Is your F drive a writer also, or just a reader?
Do you have another burner you could try?

Edited by tg1911, 13 December 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#12 roo3006

roo3006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

No, E is the only burner I have. :thumbsup:

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:59 PM

How old is the drive?
See if anything in this MS article helps:
How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW optical disc in Windows XP

#14 roo3006

roo3006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

It's 4 years old. I'm trying to limp the whole computer along until economic times are better...
Thanks for the link. The first thing I'm going to do is download SP3, then go through all the tips. It's going to be a couple days. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks a bunch!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users