Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with reformatting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_Irwin

Steve_Irwin

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

Hi there,
My friend's computer is broken, and apparently, he lost his windows installation cd. We both have Dell, and I have a installation cd that says "not drivers", so I was wondering if I can use this to fix his computer? My cd was from a Dell desktop about eight years ago, and his is about 2-3 years ago. Thanks for helping. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

Both computers would need to be using the same version of Windows, XP Pro or XP Home. You will need the drivers for that specific model.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Steve_Irwin

Steve_Irwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

Both computers would need to be using the same version of Windows, XP Pro or XP Home. You will need the drivers for that specific model.

Version as in Service Packs? I think we both use Windows Xp home, but would it really matter since I'm reformatting it anyways? Thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

If you have an XP Home license...you need to use an XP Home CD for the install.

If you have an XP Pro license...you need to use an XP Pro CD for the install.

XP Pro and XP Home are different versions of XP.

SP levels only come into play when doing repair installs or running sfc /scannow.

Louis

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

You can get a free CD from Dell. Only took a couple of days for them to deliver it thru the mail for my 3 year old computer.
See info in link below. You will also need to download the drivers to a CD or other medium as the Dell CD will not have
the drivers needed to go online. The drivers will come with their own installer. There is a link to Dell drivers in the link below.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&redirect=1
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Steve_Irwin

Steve_Irwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

Umm I don't know wheres my license, but it seems like every time I install it with the XP cd it automatically registers. Would it work for the other computer? I heard that if there's two registered licenses it wouldn't work. Thanks again!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

The certification of authentication will be on the case. It is a twenty character alphanumerical code. Each one is specific to the computer that it was applied to, there are no OEM multiple licenses.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Steve_Irwin

Steve_Irwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

The certification of authentication will be on the case. It is a twenty character alphanumerical code. Each one is specific to the computer that it was applied to, there are no OEM multiple licenses.

Oh ok, so if we were running different versions of XP that was installed it wouldn't work? Thanks :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users