Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haunted Vista? Or Not? (Appearence/Features change on own)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

very stange:

I built a new machine and installed Vista on it, I was on XP before, never used Vista until now.

after having it for over two weeks I boot up today and for the first time all this neat 'Vista stuff' is happening, transparent task bar, windows all transparent. they are now all animating in and out, when I hit the 'Windows Switcher' button it does that neat tiley thing instead of a boring old xp tile like it had been doing for the first two weeks, basically all the stuff I've seen in Vista ads is now happening.

I am happy with it an all BUT I didn't turn it on! I am the only one who's used the computer.

any ideas. come on make me feel better make me feel stupid even, this is just odd.

-rand

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

how are your updates set? manual install or auto install?

it could be Aero doing it

Heck, maybe you clicked and weren't paying attention...I'm techie and even I've made my VISTA jump up and go boo! ;)

EDIT: added Aero @ MS link

Edited by TSalarek, 10 December 2008 - 09:27 PM.

#3 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

yeah they are set to auto install.

so this would be the answer then? I've attached a pic of the latest updates installed (which were today)

would one of them be it?

Posted Image

#4 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

can't read it...too small in post and linking sends to the code, not the pic. DL saves as html that also is just code.

never had to "log" updates before..anyone on now with a suggestion?

#5 rand_mcnally

rand_mcnally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

so you had to click twice instead of once eh? I'm just a guy copying and pasting.

here:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2964/hauntedvistaxh9.jpg

#6 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

Those are regular KB updates...Aero would be - I Think - "Suggested" instead of Important or Recommended

It's optional as most average home systems can't really run it fully, but with Auto install it may have comein...you prolly also have SP 3 as updates would have to be manual install to bypass it

#7 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

kb 957388

kb956802

kb958623+958624

kb 955839

kb 952069

Gee what did MS install on that PC ;) All links @ MS

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

Maybe Bill Gates dropped by your house in the middle of the night and turned all that stuff on?
He's out of work now and doesn't have much to do. :huh:

Seriously, it all depends on what the installation packages modified - and if they had any relationship to the files that the settings are contained in. Changing just one system file will often affect hundreds (if not thousands) of files/settings. Most often changes of this sort are caused when an update reverts settings to the default values.

Edited by usasma, 11 December 2008 - 07:08 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users