Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Internet On One Computer of LAN

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue14

Rogue14

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:20 PM

I plugged my computer into my home network once I got home from college for summer and the internet connection was extremely slow. (It took about 3 minutes to load Yahoo's webpage.) I am on RoadRunner cable, and all other computers in my LAN run the internet at normal speeds, so that leads me to believe the problem is with the computer itself.

I thought it may be a virus or spyware, etc, but my computer had no problems with internet connection the last day at school, and I didn't touch it before I plugged it in at home. The system itself runs fine, it's just the internet.

I thought maybe the cable was bad, or the port on the router was screwed up, so switched both out and it didn't do anything.

I tried a system restore to a week and 3 days before and that didn't fix it. I took a look at my tasks and stuff and my CPU usage is low, and I didnt see anything that looked odd.

I ran Spybot, with slightly outdated definitions and it found nothing. I ran Ad-aware with fairly old definitions and it didn't find anything. I also did a system scan with McAfee and it found the byteverify trojan, so i deleted that. I didn't update the definitions because it takes about 4 hours to download them with that 1.0kb/s connection. Also ran AVG and it didnt find anything. And if it is a virus or something, why would it not affect me at school and then the very next time its plugged in at home, it would hit.

I booted it up in safe mode with networking and still had the same slow internet problem. Im running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension Desktop.

Im pretty much out of ideas besides maybe the NIC went bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

Maybe a duplex issue. Is this computer connected to a switch? Make sure the nic card has its duplex setting matched to how the switch is. If you can not tell what the switch is set to, set the card to auto and see if that helps

#3 Rogue14

Rogue14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

It's plugged into a Dlink DI-604 Router. I had the same computer plugged into the the same port on the router before I left for school and it worked fine, and I didn't change any settings to my knowledge.

My NIC is an Intel PRO/100 VE and the device manager said it was working properly and the speed was set to auto.

#4 Rogue14

Rogue14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

I fixed the problem. I installed another NIC from an old computer I had lying around and it worked fine. So it turns out that the onboard Intel PRO/100 VE NIC went bad, so I just disabled it. Maybe it got rattled during the move or something, who knows?

I pinged the router from each computer and got a time of <1ms so that didnt indicate the NIC was bad, so that was wierd.

Thanks for the help.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

You're the second person who's posted recently with those symptoms, in particular the pings were fine but the problem was the NIC. Maybe a larger packet size in the pings would show up the problem?

Glad you fixed it and thanks for letting us know! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 thelessa

thelessa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

I am having this same problem with xp pro. where is it that I check the speed of the lan card? I have looked and can't seem to find it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

You should start your own topic for the best help with your problem, but while you're here try this:

You need to know the IP address of something else on your network, preferably the internet gateway/router. Then do Start>Run and type cmd to open a command window.

At the prompt type ipconfig this will show you your own address and may show you a gateway address if one is used.

At the prompt type ping -l 1024 -w 10 <ip address> where obviously <ip address> is replaced by the gateway address you found above and "-l" is minus lower case L.

Examine the statistics from that long ping and let us know the results.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users