Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Recovery complete, backup won't load

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NanaMeeze

NanaMeeze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

I'm running WindowsXP home on a 2-year old Gateway.
I don't know if all of this is related, so please bear with me. I picked up a trojan (possible at Facebook or YouTube). McAfee blocked it but wouldn't get rid of it. At the same time, I lost my framedyn.dll file - gone totally. After hours of trying to scrub files on my own, I called Gateway *sigh*.
After an hour of remote assistance, the computer was cleaned using ComboFix. This was all at my expense since the warranty had expired.

But the dll cache was corrupted. I culdn't do a restore because of it.
I was told to do a backup and then a complete system recovery.

Ok, all that's done.

But... when I try to use the Backup and Restore Wizard, all it wants to open is "a removeable storage device". My backup file is on C: drive. I don't see the *.bkf extension, just a file name which says "my backup 12-7-2008". All my files are THERE, I can SEE them, I can OPEN the document files, for example.

But all the upgrades, patches, favorites, new software, etc. are not running on the computer now.

Does this make sense?

How do I get the backup to load?

Thank you for any help. I've read Microsoft help pages till I want to get a hammer out and start bashing things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

Unfortunately to get your system back to what it was you will have to reinstall them all, the backup was probably a complete backup of your system but it would have backed up the problem as well, so you cant restore the backup to use. The backup you did was basically to save all you data (word docs, pictures music etc) not windows, and the system recovery removed windows and installed a new one. All you can do is copy out of the backup the data you need and reinstall the missing applications.

Here are some commonly wanted locations after a reinstall

My Documents
C:\Documents and Settings\**USERNAME**\My Documents

My Favourites
C:\Documents and Settings\**USERNAME**\Favourites

Outlook PST Datafile
C:\Documents and Settings\**USERNAME**\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Outlook Express Data files
C:\Documents and Settings\**USERNAME**\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Random Numbered String}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Outlook Express Address Book
C:\Documents and Settings\**USERNAME**\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

#3 Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

I had to do the same thing. All I want to do is to restore the messages in the inbox of Outlook Express. Which one of the backup files contains my OE messages, and how do I import them back to OE?

Thanks.

BTW all of this was caused by the Malware Defense virus.

Edited by Rick in Ohio, 30 December 2009 - 09:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users