Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Associations Not Updating for Office 2007

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kenshireen

kenshireen

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

I just installed office 2007. Previosly had 2003.. I went into "set associations" to update the program used to open "Doc" and "docx" it would not update.
I browsed to program files/microsoft office/office12/winword and hit open. The "set associations" window did not update for thias application..
In addition when I try to open a newly created office document it cannot find a program to open and I go through the same "browse" procedure and nothing is updated.

Am I not selected the correct program... I now have all my .doc files which I cannot open.

Geez!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kenshireen

kenshireen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

[quote name='kenshireen' date='Dec 10 2008, 07:09 PM' post='1041025']
I just installed office 2007. Previosly had 2003.. I went into "set associations" to update the program used to open "Doc" and "docx" it would not update.

I browsed to program files/microsoft office/office12/winword and hit open. The "set associations" window did not update for thias application..
In addition when I try to open a newly created office document it cannot find a program to open and I go through the same "browse" procedure and nothing is updated.

Am I not selected the correct program... I now have all my .doc files which I cannot open.

I would really appreciate an answer.... Why is "winword" not updating "set assoctiation" when I go through the above path and select open. I even tested using excel and that did update the set associations window.

Thank you

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

Did you do use an Upgrade Install (from 2003), remove 2003 & install the full version of 2007 or did you install 2007 without removing 2003?

If you used an Upgrade, then I would try a repair install. Go here and try Method 2 first and then Method 1 in the middle of the page.

If you installed clean, you need to make sure that all traces of Office 2003 are removed from your computer. Let me know if you need assistance with that.

:huh:

Edited by I_am_CanadianEh?, 11 December 2008 - 11:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users