Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to partition an external enclosure hdd

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

I have just bought an enclosure and set up a SAMSUNG HD103UJ HARD DRIVER:

SAMSUNG HD103UJ HARD DRIVER

The problem is that, as I was told, in order to recognized the hd, I would have to partition it : I have never partitioned an external driver hooked up to pc through a USB, how would I do that?

Best Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

Go Start > Right Click on My Computer > Manage > Computer Management (local) > Storage > Disk Management

Right click on the Unallocated block on your external hard drive and you will see an option to create a partition on the drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Budapest,

But the enclosure hdd is not even recognized. I mean I can't see it on Disk Management List.

What should I do?

Enclosure: Maxxtro S 3500

Edited by pidr1nhu, 10 December 2008 - 07:30 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

If you cannot see it in Disk Management then it may not be working correctly. Try checking/reseating the connections/cables.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

I have already tried. I should say that once I plug the cable onto the notebook it gives me a sound, identifies that an unknown device was plugged but it is unable to recognize it. Then on Device Manager it says: "Unknown Device"

#6 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

You should not have to partition an external drive unless you have some personal reason for doing so.

When you plug the drive into your USB port, it should immediately be recognized by the OS and assigned the next available drive letter. You may need to format it if it is not factory formatted but it likely comes preformatted. The ONLY reason for doing anything with partitioning is to divide this new drive into two or more logical drives. There are not many good reasons for using logical drives.

Once you have plugged in the drive and the OS recognises and assignes a drive letter, you should be able to see it in My Computer or with Explorer. Format if necessary and start using it.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

Have you tried all the USB ports on your machine?

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, all those keep getting me the same procedure.

Chimo,

Ok, I may not need to partition it, but how can I overcome the recognition stuff?

#9 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

The OS is recognizing the drive but cannot find an appropriate driver to install. The Samsung drive you cited is an internal drive that you installed in an external enclosure. That's OK but the enclosure should have come with some software or it should be available from the manufacturers site.

#10 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

It says that for Xp and Vista Versions, no driver is required. Only 98 SE

Edited by pidr1nhu, 10 December 2008 - 08:33 PM.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

Do you have a link for the enclosure you used?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

I have got an extra external driver..and It is recognized promptly once the USB is plugged. But this driver I used on my desktop pc which I have already disposed of and as it was already in use and thus wasn't brand new as this samsung driver, I might suspect of the format/partition stuff.

Budapest,

Yeah, got a link. It's a maxxtro s 3500.

#13 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm at a loss. Perhaps you can try it on another computer. Or, perhaps you can temporarily install the Samsung drive into your PC, or that of a friend, as an internal drive long enough to get it formatted. Once formatted, there should be no difference from your old drive that works in the enclosure and you should then be able to remove it from the internal installation and put it in the enclosure. Everything I try to look up about the enclosure is in Russian.

#14 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

I will try this then.

Best Regards Chimo79.

#15 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED: HD WASN'T WORKING PROPERLY.

Thank you both for being supportive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users