Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows recovery where I have been lately

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:27 PM

A few days ago I was doing my maintenance and decided to run MBSA. I don't let windows auto-update. Biggest potential security risk I have ever seen. It showed I needed 2 critical updates.

So I go get them the first went ok but on the second when I rebooted, I saw a momentary flash of a window open and saw something run, a flassh of a progress bar installing something. Ok I imediately went to system restore and found it was disabled.
Went to process in admin tools and was unable to change any settings, properties unresponsive. Then the window wouldn't even open anymore.my av was disabled etc. etc.
Anything and everything that had to do with security settings or could be used to stop the ongoing process was unresponsive. Couldn't even get into safe mode.
So finally I had to do a complete system recovery and have been trying to reinstall everything eversince LOL

So no matter how good yer security settings are if you let it in yourself, you are history.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

Let what in?

It may have been the system update itself disabling restore. Stopping it from completing may have totally disrupted your op system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users