Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shimori

shimori

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

After a windows SP3 update and a bios update installed on my pc on the next few startups my computer went a blue screen saying a problem with the bios, i cant remember wut it all said but my brother used a windows bootup disk with instructions from microsoft to undo the bios update cuz it seemed to have installed the same update twice which messed with it. Now everytime on startup it goes to a black screen saying, "diskette drive 0 seeks failure" F1 continue, F2 go to setup. Well it makes my startup alot slower which is annoying but idk why its doing it or how to solve it.

And earlier i was doing forums for a diff topic about internet slowness/disconnections during internet games/ and pauses in adaware anti virus scans and disk defragment at a certain point. I was told to post u the link incase u were interested. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/180405/concerned-about-computer/. Anyhelp u can give me would be appreciated.

Edited by shimori, 10 December 2008 - 04:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Do you have a floppy drive? If not, go into set up (hit f2) and then you should see a section labeled standard cmos settings (it may be different though). In there you may see that a floppy drive is enabled on your computer. If it is, it would be labeled as so, and you can disable it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 shimori

shimori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yes i went in and it had a something set for drive A so i disabled it and now my comp doesent try to start up with a disk so the black screen is no more and my bootup speed is normal. But with the error that caused us to have to reset the bios, is their any side effects from having to reset the bios like that? Is their any problems that it causes or is it all good now?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

There shouldn't be any problems. The only other thing you probably noticed is that your clock should of been reset. Besides that, you should be fine!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 shimori

shimori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:08 AM

Thankyou for your help, i appreciate it :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users