Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to setup home network

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 eagle27

eagle27

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

I am having a problem setting up my home network.
I have a Dell 4700 and a VAIO VGN-FJ270. The VAIO system is corrupt and the USB ports do not work. I am trying to transfer files from the VAIO to the Dell using the ethernet connections. I have a Linksys 5 group switch that I am using to connect the 2 computers. The switch is not connected to the internet. Please advise if this is the proper setup to connect these two computers.

Also when I run the network setup wizard on both computers I am not sure if I am selecting the proper descriptions that describe the type of connections it wants me to choose. AT one point I was able to see the VAIO on my Dell when I viewed workgroup computers but wasn't sure how the whole thing works about sharing the files. Now when I re did the setup I cannot get either computer to see each other in the workgroup mode. Are there other items should know about in regards to firewall setup, Spybot control, LAN settings, etc. that I should prepare that would assist this process?

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

eagle27

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users