Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Living national treasures

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Japan has long had a tradition of honoring those who practice crafts and arts which are in danger of dying out, for example, the technique of creating rare dyes or of forging traditional samurai swords.

In reviewing the Wikipedia article on National Treasures http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_treasure, I was surprised to find out that the U.S. also has living National Treasures, like Eduardo "Lalo" Guerrero http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalo_Guerrero, singer of pachuco music; the U.K. had Winston Churchill, and Brazil has Pele.

Who would you like to see declared a national treasure, and why? If you are a citizen of the U.K., you could opt to have someone declared a Welsh, Scottish or Canadian national treasure. The person could either be preserving a form of knowledge or done much to create one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

Looks like no one has took to this yet, I'll just give a link to a news story from a few months ago listing who some people think are the UK's Top 50 National Treasures they don't represent my views in anyway and I don't have a opinion on some since I'm too young to know some of them but I have heard of them anyway.

The List includes previous Prime Ministers, Politicians, Singers, Comedians, Models, Cooks, Sportsman, Authors, Businessman, Professors and Architects.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-...res-957884.html

#3 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

I am english but my choice would be a welshman called Nye Bevan who helped create the national health service.On the world stage I would opt for Mahatma Ghandi,who won nationalism for India through non violent means.

Edited by cod head, 24 December 2008 - 06:45 AM.

#4 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 903 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

Mahatma Ghandi

That's great, but he's not living. Posted Image

I would say Bruce Forsyth and Simon Weston.

#5 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

Cannot think of anyone living apart from my wife thats a treasure,Forsythe and Weston good choices though. :thumbsup:

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

Recently dead, but once was alive: George Carlin

#7 DeFweetLan

DeFweetLan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hard to choose just one, so:

Nelson Mandela.

Martina Navratilova, best female tennis player ever.

Mary Robinson, first female Irish President, and UN Commissioner for Human Rights from '97 - '02
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
~Dorothy Parker~

#8 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

George Carlin will be sorely missed. His foul-mouthed political satire was often right on the mark, and later in life he amazingly served as a children's show host on PBS.

This suggests another topic: who would we nominate for comic laureate of the U.S.? My first pick would be Stephen Colbert, although he doesn't write much of his own material, he is quite brilliant in his performance and holds to his persona well when making guest appearances on some news shows. His "self-parodying" pretend-conservative actually paved the way for Tina Fey's great impression of Sarah Palin. Tina Fey didn't need to write much of her material for that role either, as Ms. Palin did a great job for her, and continues to do so.

#9 Rocco5955

Rocco5955

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

Folk Singer, songwriter, and activist, Pete Seeger will always be a treasure to me, and he's alive, to boot!
Here's his Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Seeger

"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -- President John Sheridan

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

:trumpet:

This particular Boke is dead now, but what he did lives on. He was actually a Personal Friend.

Australia is recoginesed as MultiCulturalised today thanks to this Man.

† Hon. Al Grassby, AM OI - The Father of Multiculturalism

Born 12 July 1926 - Died 23 April 2005.

Al Grassby was a colourful man. His brightly coloured shirts and ties were the items that many people first noticed. But those who knew Al knew his bright and strong interest in peoples from all cultures, all creeds, and all walks of life was the most colourful part of his life and it was his passionate and life-long interest.

Al Grassby was born in Brisbane of an Irish mother and Spanish father who had lived in Chile. As a child his family moved constantly to Newcastle and Sydney, and then to Sudan, Italy, France, Spain and Scotland and during these travels he acquired a deep understanding of diverse cultures. Al returned to Australia in 1948 and subsequently took up an information officer position with the CSIRO in Griffith.

He was a NSW member of parliament from 1965 to 1969 when he was elected to the Federal Parliament. He was Australian Federal Minister for Immigration from 1972 to 1974 and he initiated extensive reforms in immigration, citizenship and human rights legislation and is credited with introducing the policy of multiculturalism to Australia. Although it was the Holt government that had officially ended the White Australia Policy in the mid 1960s, it was Al Grassby who set about removing all traces of it from Australian law and from government practice. This earned him the title of the father of multiculturalism in Australia.

After he left parliament, he was appointed the first Commissioner for Community Relations. This enabled him to pursue his passion for ensuring Australia became a rich, blended and tolerant society of people for a range of cultures who live together in harmony.

Al Grassby was awarded the Order of Isabel la Católica by His Majesty the King of Spain

Al Grassby was later appointed Director of International Operations, Australian for INFO International which included a special assignment for UNESCO with an international schools program in 7 countries. He conducted a review of multicultural information services by NSW Health Service; examined Aboriginal Australian experience of land management in North Australia; advised a Japanese company involved in establishing a joint Thailand/Australian enterprise; and he conducted the writing of Burnum Burnum’s Aboriginal Australia.

Al Grassby never retired. In 2001 he was a founding director of the Multicultural Business Chamber of Australia. Al’s vision included drawing on the diverse talents and skills of people from a range of cultures for the commercial betterment of business in Australia. He remained an active Director until the time of his death at the age of 78.

Al Grassby is the father of multiculturalism in Australia.

Christopher Peters, AM OI JP

Chairman

Multicultural Business Chamber of Australia Incorporated

28 April 2005

I am happy to suppy other Links on quite a remarkable and coutriversial Man, as you would expect from a Trail Blazer.

Only the really very Brave would have gone against all the odds like this Man did.

I Salute a Brave Man.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 21 January 2009 - 12:49 PM.

#11 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Grassby does sound like a real treasure. The world needs more people like him!

I don't listen to Seeger's music but am aware of his good work for the public.

I hope this topic continues to be a source of gratitude and thankfulness for BC users in this difficult time. Regardless of whether one has religious beliefs or not, it helps to pause sometimes to consider that there are people who try to make the world a better place, whether through social activism, maintaining ancient crafts and arts that are in danger of dying out, or by producing beautiful or thought-provoking art, music or literature. And laughter helps a lot, too. It is important to preserve the past while trying to plan for the future.

#12 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

michael jordan, maynard, Bill gates, whoever made fire emblem
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#13 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Intelligent Systems (more specifically, Shouzou Kaga until he left I.S.) created Fire Emblem.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#14 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

Bob Dylan
Kriss Kristofferson
Mick Jagger
Reba McIntire

#15 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

jefferson davis
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users