Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Access disabled..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 santlou

santlou

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hi...

I have several (8+) pc's in my home connected to a Linksys router and Cable Modem.

All except one computer can access the internet fine. Recently, one laptop can't access the internet (a Sony Vaio laptop).

I'm running Symantec Norton Antivirus which is up-to-date. Full Scans are run regularly (daily). A few days ago, NAV found 2 trojans (W32.SillyDC, Backdoor.Tidserv!inf) that could not be deleted, fixed, or quarntined. I rebooted in safemode to delete the infected files which were in the IE temp folder.

As of this morning, this laptop cannot access the internet at all. I checked my network connections and found that my Wireless and LAN connections TCP/IP properties show the IP '85.255.116.163' in the Preferred DNS server, and an Internet Connection Gateway shows up on my Network connections display. Even after I change the IP and remove the Internet Connection Gateway, they both are restored to these values. So I can't change the IP address of the TCP/IP Preferred DNS Server.

I also have the same issue on this laptop when I am hard-wired to the router (both the Wireless connection and the LAN connection show '85.255.116.163'.

I ran a combofix on this laptop after installing Win Rec Console. Attached is the combofix log.

Before running combofix, I disabled all internet connections. After combofix completed, I restored the network connections and attempted to access the internet, but the same results appear - No access to the internet, and the '85.255.116.163' in the TCP/IP preferred DNS.

I'm running XP Home sp2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   19.01KB   5 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hi, i would run a scan of malwarebytes anti-malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Update and run a full scan.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please create a new topic explaining the nature of your problem in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.

If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.