Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked hosts file?! Plz help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Here is one for Laptops:
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/insta...ptop-memory.htm

It isn't to complicated, basically you open your computer then you look for sticks of ram.
unclip each side to ensure that the ram comes out.
After that remove one stick (if you only have one stick then you know what the issue is) :thumbsup:
If 2 then remove one and boot up the computer and see if it happens again.
If not then let it stay on for a while to see how it runs.

Alternatively you could run this program:
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html it has a way to do it without removing the ram it will test it for you.

Let me know how it goes.
Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Azrea

Azrea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

I am actually relieved that I didn't proceed with trying to adjust the RAM. Not blaming you at all- it just turns out that VAIO's are designed differently in that the RAM sticks have delicate wires connecting it to the motherboard.
If I had proceeded I would have severed said wire and turned my pc into a doorstop. Thanks anyways for helping me.

Anyway, the blasted thing just blue screens at startup now. I gave up and went to geek squad. They scanned it to find that I have probably eight different conflicting programs and an infected registry. I will wipe it clean and start over.
A last request: could you tell me how to keep my pc in general good health?

#18 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

I am actually relieved that I didn't proceed with trying to adjust the RAM. Not blaming you at all- it just turns out that VAIO's are designed differently in that the RAM sticks have delicate wires connecting it to the motherboard.
If I had proceeded I would have severed said wire and turned my pc into a doorstop. Thanks anyways for helping me.

WHo told you that I have worked on numerous Vaio's and none of those have ever had that laptop or desktop.
Ram is ram, it only goes in one way it is sticks that you put in or take out.
There are no wires attached to them.
=====================
The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people.
You do not have to have all or any of them they are only suggestions.
This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.

Spybot Search & Destroy-Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.

Spyware Blaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.

Spywareguard-Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.

Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.

Prevention article To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections please read the Prevention artice by Miekiemoes.

If your computer is slow Is a tutorial on what you can do if your computer is slow.

Edited by kahdah, 09 January 2009 - 08:24 AM.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

#19 Azrea

Azrea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

Ok thanks for your help!

#20 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users