Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Spyware program - Best one's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

I have Vista 64 Ultimate and want to get a solid Anti-spyware program to protect it. I have looked but most are only for XP or if they are for Vista are only for 32 bit. Can anyone give me a list of programs that are solid for this Freeware or pay.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

I have vista 64bit & use the following freeware antispy programs: SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
:thumbsup:

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

Thanks,

Ever hear of Spy Sweeper? I heard is suppose to be the best out.

Also any good programs to remove/scan for Trojans in Vista 64?

Thanks

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

BOClean will run well on Vista 64bit. Excellent for Trojans and free from Comodo as usual.

http://www.comodo.com/boclean/boclean.html
James

#5 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Ok thanks. I will try these out.

My Pc has slowed down for boot up time and opening programs. It was blazing fast now it is slooooowww.

Arghhh

#6 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hello,
I have tried both BOClean and Spysweeper. I prefer MBAM and SUPERAntispware. Although no one program picks up ALL MALWARE, My opinion and experience is that MBAM & SAS arre the two best overall antispyware programs out there. If you look at the forums on Security & Infections here at BC, you will see these two programs over & over again. If you had to limit yourself to one everyday program: I would choose SAS (it picks up many tracking cookies). Better yet here is a link to many antispyware programs (most free) Antispyware downloads. Try some out and see what works best for you! What are you using for an antivirus program / firewall? Are you now using MBAM,SAS, Spysweeper,BOCLean,(and Windows Defender?)? That could slow your system down.

Good luck!
CCRN396

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

tim_ver

It should be noted that the list of programs in the link "Antispyware downloads" provided by CCRN396 contain a lot of specialized tools (GMER, IceSword, Vundofix etc.) that should only be used under the guidance of an expert, otherwise you run the risk of causing damage to your system.

My Pc has slowed down for boot up time and opening programs. It was blazing fast now it is slooooowww.

Have a look at Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist

Or if you suspect you have a malware infection, it would be best to post on the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal Forum and have an expert review your logs.

First, please read Preparation Guide for use before posting about your potential Malware problem.

Edited by RedDawn, 11 December 2008 - 09:39 PM.

#8 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

Thank you RedDawn. This list is indeed fairly extensive and includes more than just general protection programs (which you indicated as your topic rather than a solution to an infected computer-> IF you think you are infected then you would be best served by posting in Am I infected? What do I do?.) The description contained in each link does provide info regarding what each program does. As an alternative, you can try the following: Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources. This link also lists some specialized tools so be cautious and limit yourself to a general antispyware program.

Edited by CCRN396, 11 December 2008 - 10:10 PM.

#9 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

I have right now Spybot 1.60 and Norton 360 running on the PC. I did a scan with Spybot only found 4 items.

Ideas?

#10 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

As CCRN396 suggested you should scan with Superantispyware, it is likely to find far more than Spybot and be more capable of removing them too.

The Resources list is getting quite out of date now, so hopefully it will be updated sometime.

If you have the free versions of Superantispyware and Malwarebytes, they will only slow down your system when you run them. BOClean can have some effect as it is scanning constantly.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users