Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE6 error "not able to open this site"...when trying to download

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yankeestonk

yankeestonk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I've got an old Windows 98 SE with IE6. VERY SLOW. Trying to download fixes, Firefox, whatever, same message everytime in the Microsoft IE dialog pop up, ie. (Internet Explorer cannot download Firefox Setup 3.0.4.exe from mirror.cc.vt.edu. Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.)

This is on ANY site I try to download from with the exception of Windows updates. I wanted to try uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling, or trying Firefox to see if that helps. I also can't view any "players" on websites, like youtube player. They are just blank on the screen.

I did try the IE6 repair from the Add/remove area. That would have been way too easy. No good. Any suggestions what else I can try. Hard to fix somethig when you can't download any fixes!

thanks so much.
ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

Download them onto another computer and put them on CD.
Try installing them that way.

First thing I would try with Windows 98 is SuperAntiSpyware.
www.superantispyware.com

Download it and install it. When it asks to do the updates dont
Do the full scan. It could take several hours then reboot.
That is at least the first pass.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Firefox 3. is not compatible with 98. That shouldn't keep you from downloading the .exe though. Could be malware problem.
Like evesee says. If you can't get SAS because of the same problem, you can put it on a CD and transfer to your computer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users