Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compressed air to clean my computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

I have read instructions on how to clean the internal parts of my computer, and they all say to use canned compressed air. I have an air tank that I use to air up tires, blow the dust out of filters, etc. Could I use this tank of air, or could I use the blower feature on my vacuum cleaner?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

The air in that tank would probably contain some oils. Maybe not very much but it would have something like that in it.

If you have a small vacuum, like a Shark, you can use those but be careful of any brushes on the attachments as they may generate static. The crevice tool is handy.

The canned air is good but I hate having to pay for air. :thumbsup:

DR

#3 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

I have a shop vac, and it has a place where you can put the hose so that it blows air instead of sucking. Could I use that? I hate to pay for air too.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Canned air is the best, most companies use an inert gas so that there is no chance of creating static electricity.

As rigacci has pointed out the air in the tank can contain oil, most compressed air has a by product of water, most compressors used in sensitive areas will use a dry filter.

There are small vacuum cleaners that are built specifically for the use of cleaning computer cases, I haven't seen one up close and personal yet to see how they address the static electricity problem, I suspect that a low volume of vacuum is one answer. If you are careful you can use a vacuum, just make sure that you don't touch the nozzle to anything inside the case. The problem with vacuum cleaners is that the large amount of air and dust particle traveling through the tube is a great static electricity generator.

You can use the shop vacuum to blow out the case, but I doubt that you will get enough volume to be able to blow out the heat sink and fan on the CPU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

OK thank you. Does anyone have anything to add to these helpful answers to my question?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

If it's a piston-type compressor, I wouldn't use it. I have a small oil less compressor (diaphragm). You still need a regulator to reduce the pressure. Just cracking the valve is not enough. I know a person that uses a bicycle pump

Or you could do what Dachew does and use a gas-powered leaf blower :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

Here is a home-grown tutorial on cleaning your machine.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

DR

#8 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Thank you so much, DR, this info will be very helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users