Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MCE Puzzlur

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:48 AM

Stop 0x000000ED
Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Googled this blue screen message to death

Got a 06 Dimension, won't boot to any mode, booted to a generic MCE cd and tried to run repair disk, it sees a boot partition(Fat32), a 5 gig recovery partition(fat32) and an unknown volume of 70+ gigs

Durn thing acts like it going to load windows with the logo and blue bar?

No recovery console or safe mode command prompt

According to the owner it's had Norton's then McAfee and some malware problems

Inside is relatively clean

??????????????????????????
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

Chkdsk /r is the normal fix for unmountable boot volume errors...I would use either an XP Home or Pro CD to run such.

Almost forgot that the RC is downloadable, chkdsk /r could then be run from it.

In the event that chkdsk /r cannot fix it, I would do a repair install of MCE...after I had satisfied myself that it's not a disk problem.

The 70GB volume...what does the owner say it's supposed to be, assuming that the boot partition is the Windows partition?

I think I'd try a manufacturer's diag on that drive in light of the fact that there's a partition that cannot be read.

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

Well the 70 gig partition with unknown file system was the system partition so recovery console was a no go as was repair disk, durn drive was a samsung sata that might have been clicking earlier.

I dropped the drive into another computer, windows bluescreened a checkdisk for file structure and reported some sectors unreadable, and repaired others, still couldn't see the partition

After reboot it started all over again with new sectors unreadable

The guy said he was ready to go back to a Mac, I agreed
Chewy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

LOL...IMO, a Mac is an expensive answer to a situation that seems to be a bad hard drive (first guess).

I would have run a manufacturer's diag on the drive, just to confirm what I suspect.

If the drive checked out as OK, then I would assume that the NTFS file system had become damaged. The only cure I know for that is a delete/clean install sequence of events.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2008 - 09:59 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Although I'm a Windows kinda guy - Macs have their place in the grand scheme of things.

If you only need a system that does what a Mac does - then it's a good choice for someone who want's a system that's reliable and easy to operate. They're relatively expensive tho'

But, if it should break, there's limited options (that I've seen) for the user to fix it. And repairs are expensive!
Also, there's not as much software available for MAC's - this is a bad thing if your favorite program won't work on them, but it's a good thing if it's malware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

Last drive that I fooled with that had bad sectors got a slow format and clean install twice, third time I threw the damn thing away

It had already cost me more than the computer was worth
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users