Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Automatic windows update- after reinstallation of Windows XP-

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drrvasudevan

drrvasudevan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:11 AM

Dear Experts,
I have a problem with getting windows update and to enable it in automatic mode

I bought this computer in 2004. Dell Inspiron 8400 with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition- version 2002- Serivce pack 2002. Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20 GHz, 1.0 GB of RAM

Till last week I had no problem.
I was using o2 broadband in UK which has McAfee as antivirus in it.
Last week when I tried to download some movies through google- it took me through a different website which was reported by McAfee as problematic- immediately i closed that browser. I didnt manually download anything from that website.
Within half an hour, i started getting annoying popups- usually comes in bunch of 6 or 7 internet explorer windows ( i usually use firefox as my default browser)
This kept on happening for the next 24 hours. I scanned my computer and all files with mcAfee which identifed some viruses and i removed them. But even after restarting, the same problem of opening of different IE windows happened - they are either antivirus 2009 software or some other spyware programmes.

First Installation:
So I reinstalled my windows XP through my installation but i cant remember whether I installed the driver in the same order as recommemended in 'Completing the reinstallation of windows XP' in the website. But i managed to enable my internet after installation. I had problem in getting the windows update- whenever I go to windows update page- it redirected me to msn home page. So now i concentrated more on the 'reinstalling windows XP article', took step by step approach installation of XP software, followed by drivers. I manually downloaded the drivers from the dell website as suggested. ( i also have the resource tool CD)

Second Reinstallation:
So within the next 24 hours, I reinstalled the windows XP but this time in the same sequential order as suggested by the article. After the installation of the drivers, I noticed that i could directly able to access the internet without installing the o2 CD, ( in my first reinstall process i have to install the o2 broadband setup CD to access internet).

Anyhow i manually installed the o2 broadband CD. I visited the windows update session but it comes with this error. Since then whenever i tried to visit this website it came with this error.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''ERROR''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Error number: 0x8DDD0018
The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

* Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
* Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
* Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)

To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

As suggested by this help menu, i tried changing the 'Automatic Updates' setting through the 'Services'. After completing the step 4 and while doing step- 5 (that while tring to start the
service status after making the startup status as automatic - i am getting the following error

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''ERROR"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Could not start the Automatic Updates service on Local computer.
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or it has no enabled devices associated with it.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I searched in the microsft support page for the Error 1058 information:
I tried using the following links
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175155
and reviewed many other support articles- but i couldnt enable my automatic updates as of now.

But my problem of not getting windows update still persists. Kindly help me

Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

Try Dial-a-fix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/
Be sure to tick the box that says Fix Windows Updates
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users