Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashed and burned...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ohboi

Ohboi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:56 AM

Backstory: I have Dell Vostro 1400 specs are

* Core 2 Duo T5470 (1.6Ghz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
* 14.1 Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife
* 1GB DDR2 667Mhz
* 128MB Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
* 120GB 5400RPM SATA
* Windows XP
* Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
* 8x CD/DVD Burner w/ double layer DVD+ write capability
* Integrated High Definition Audtio
* Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
* Integrated 2.0 mega pixel web camera
* 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
* Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

Recently it has been overheating which has led to my system slowing down but its fine whenever I just turn it off and let it cool down. But during Thanksgiving weekend I left it on for a long period of time and used it alot. It was very hot and all of a sudden it just turned off by itself. When I reboot it the screen lights up like it is about to come on but nothing ever shows, not even a flashing cursor. So I hooked it up to a external monitor and used the function crt/lcd key and I got a scrambled image. My computer is stuck in 640x300 or somtin like that its hard to read. And when i try to apply any different setting it doesn't work. There is also some sort of message regarding my video card saying that it is not detected.

[attachment=9270:orange.JPG]

I removed the previous driver for the video card and installed the correct one. Everything looked fine for about 30 seconds before everything froze and pink pixels popped up everywhere.

[attachment=9272:Picture_083.jpg]

then after approximently 10 seconds I got a blue screen of death.

[attachment=9271:untitled.JPG]

Please help, any ideas? is it hardware failure instead of something to do with my software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:10 AM

How do you know it was over heating?
Here is what the BSOD is:
0x000000BE: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
A driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a driver file is named in the error message, try to correct the problem by disabling, removing, or rolling back the driver.

Download SIW http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html go to hrdware>sensors and it will give system temps. Can you boot into safe mode?
MCP
MSDST

#3 Ohboi

Ohboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. When I first bought this laptop its been very quiet and rarely even gets warm. Now whenever i use it for a period of time the fan is constantly running and the left side of the computer gets very hot. The vent of the left side is the hottest part. Yes I can boot in safe mode.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

There is a heat sensor which monitors the temperature of the CPU, when this exceeds a preset temperature it will shut the computer down to protect the processor.

Poor air circulation can cause overheating, a build up of dust can impede the circulation, for this you can try blowing through the vents with canned air to blow out the dust. There are laptop cooler that seem to be effective, Newegg has this Belkin for $11.99 after a six dollar reduction and a ten dollar mail in rebate.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

Seen simular symptoms on old IBM Thinkpads where the CPU/Internal fan is about to stop working.
Computer gets overheated and you get verius computer freezes or BSOD or just random memory errors.

If its a heat problem witch it sounds like, do the fan make alot of noise or is the fan not even pushing out any air out of the machine?

If thats the case try getting your hands on the laptop hardware maintance manual and parts manual and order a new fan and do the change yourself.

Its not so hard if you got the manual and take it easy.

Edited by Luser, 10 December 2008 - 05:38 AM.

Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:53 AM

You can use these instructions for disassembling and cleaning out the laptop. The instructions are for a Vostro 1000, but should be close enough for you to use them.

Remember that there are components inside which can be destroyed by static electricity, discharge yourself to a grounded surface before handling any of the components inside the laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Ohboi

Ohboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

If its a heat problem witch it sounds like, do the fan make alot of noise or is the fan not even pushing out any air out of the machine?

The fan makes alot of noise, but it doesn't seem to help at all because all the air that it pushes out is hot. (this is after maybe 20-30 min) I will try to take it apart and clean it and see if that helps.

A driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a driver file is named in the error message, try to correct the problem by disabling, removing, or rolling back the driver.

Secondly in regards to the video driver, it has again failed so everything looks like the very first picture again. This is after I tried to address the error by downloading a new driver from Dell and reinstalling it. When I tried to install it in regular startup I kept getting a error message upon restart that said "hardware encountered a error. Parameters were incorrect."

So I then rebooted in safe mode and reinstalled the video driver there, it went through smoothly but then when I reboot it I get the same result as "step 2" of my original post. Everything is fine for a couple seconds and then the screen sort of blinks/flashes for a moment and everything goes pink and then blue screen.

Edited by Ohboi, 10 December 2008 - 06:04 PM.

#8 Ohboi

Ohboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

apparently dell is telling me that my graphics card is broken possibly from the overheating. There was dust in the fan but I honestly don't think it was significant enough to cause the overheating. I've only had this laptop for about 7 months super irritating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users