Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

Gooday all, as the title suggests I am having issues with boot-up on my wife's computer. It has a legit copy of windows xp home on it.
The story is this. She tried to start it this morning and it refused saying that it was corrupted and a certain file was missing. I got home from work and booted it up to see the message again. Dumdum here didn't write down what it said. All I saw was that it was saying that I could fix it by inserting the CD and pressing R when it came up. So I put the disk in, restarted and waited while it did it's thing.after a while I got a bit worried as it was taking so long, I thought it may be re-installing over the top of the original installation, so I stopped it. I then re-booted to see the error message again and get some help with it. Trouble is that when I try to re-start it wants me to insert the disk to finish set-up. I sorta feel that something is not quite right here. Can someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks in advance. Regards, James.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:21 AM

Hi wavemaker,

If the error message is still appearing, could you copy it down and type it in here?

Zllio

#3 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

Hi Zillio, that's my problem. When I try to re-boot it asks for the disk to finish the earlier process I initiated. I don't know how to get around that to give you the error message. Thanks. James.

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:10 AM

I just tried to boot in every option under the f8 mode. Same result, asking for the disk for set-up to finish.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

Try doing a System Recovery from the start up disk.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER. Please notice the space between chkdsk and /r.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Edited by dc3, 10 December 2008 - 05:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:02 AM

we talking windows cd here or manifactory recover cd?

the windows cd wont install it self if you dont tell it to you will be promted with ither chosing install, repair or exit.
pressing "r" at this window will take you to the repair consol, choose partion c:/windows and type the administrator password.
Then type chkdsk /r let it run until finish, remove the cd and check if it works.

On old computers this process will take abit longer then normal because of limited size of ram, where windows will upload its files until you deside to start installation or repair.

what chkdsk /r does is checking if your windows core files are damaged if they are they will copy the once from the cd to your harddrive aka repair :thumbsup:

Edited by Luser, 10 December 2008 - 06:03 AM.

Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:16 AM

There is a Recovery Console, and there is a Repair Installation, but there is no Repair Console that I'm aware of. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:49 AM

Hi dc3 and thank you for the response. Where I am at with this is half way through setup. So the opportunity to do as you have described is slightly past me. Do you know how to cancel/abort a set-up attempt and start again. thanks, James.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:58 AM

If you have gone past the Welcome to Setup you will not be able to use the Recovery Console. At the end of the Setup you should be able to press Esc to exit the installation. If you have reached the part where it wants you to choose a partition you may have gone too far.

#10 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

Gooday again and thanks for all the help. I decided to bite the bullet and let nature take it's course. It finished the process, rebooted and all was good in the world. Many thanks again. This issus is now resolved. James.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users