Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I worry about this?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nina

nina

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi guys!
Recently I've been getting a little popup after avg updates have been installed.
It's the little yellow one at the bottom right of the screenshot below.
Please note that it says the date of the internal virus database is incorrect, [/I]not[/I] that it's just out of date.
It's set to auto update, but ZoneAlarm stalls it until I okay it.
I'm thinking this lag is what's causing the message and that it's no big deal but I just wanted to check.
It always seems to update and scan just fine.
Guess I should change the auto update time but haven't gotten around to reading up on how to do that. Configuring avg is not intuitive for me unfortunately. Thanks! Hope I did this post correctly. Never done a screenshot before and I don't know how to crop pics w/ irfanview! :thumbsup: :flowers:

Screenshot:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

The screenshot is good, very helpful.

BTW, in Irfanview use (from the toolbar) IMAGE, then RE-SIZE/RE-SAMPLE after you open the picture in it.
Use FILE, OPEN if you open Irfanview first, then want to locate any particular photo file.

Use can easily choose "set new size as a percentage of..." and experiment with numbers, say try 60% first. Until you "save file" you can keep trying until you get a size you want. You can also decide to save your new size picture or convert the original from prompts after doing the above.

The RED Internal Virus Database indicates it indeed is out of date.
Blue indicates all is fine and operational.

AVG should be allowed to auto-update without your intervention.
As an option, if you desire, auto-updating can be cancelled and you can do it yourself, but AVG updates nearly daily. (which is very good for you).

I'm concerned that the RED indicates it hasn't.
So, my next question is what is the current internal virus database date?

Meaning, is it really updating with the Zone Alarm block in place?
Anti-virus killing malware does exist. I don't think it's present in your case.
Might be, but I doubt it. Still, your question(s) are legitimate ones.

As for times AVG will auto-update, I don't think you determine that.
At least not in the free version that I know of.
It will update when it does. So, for that reason whenever you are online,
and it can access it's home website with the required information to do an update, it will.

Check it again in the coming days, and post dates or details, please.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:27 AM

That Yellow shield is not related to AVG. If AVG has a problem then the icon becomes grey rather than coloured. Isn't that for the MS Beta anti-spyware?

Watch this thread for everything you need to know about setting the update schedule for AVG. Its too late right now, but I'll be back.

Edited by Leurgy, 14 May 2005 - 07:01 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

The yellow shield indicates that there are windows updates that need to be applied.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

By default, AVG will update automatically every fourteen days which is not nearly enough for my liking. I have mine set to update every day at 7:30 AM, which is a time that I know my computer will most likely be turned on. As it happens, AVG does offer updates almost daily, so I know my AV is "right up to the minute".

To schedule updates in AVG, double click the icon in the Systray (Notification area) near the clock. When the Control Center opens, click the Scheduler and then click Scheduled Tasks. Highlight Update Plan in Basic Mode and click Schedule. Put a check mark in "Periodically check for internet updates" and pick the time that your computer is likely to be turned on. Put a check mark in "If internet connection is not available, check when it goes online". Click Ok. You can also highlight Test plan in basic mode and edit the schedule for your automatic scans.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 nina

nina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:13 AM

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me. :thumbsup:
I think something about AVG installing its update was prompting Windows Update to throw up that msg because I only got it after AVG did its thing.
I finally let Win Update get online and install about 8 hotfixes last night.
No msg after running AVG today. One was for some MS malware detector. The description said that it will update once a month.
Anyway, wish I hadn't gotten those hotfixes, now everything is weird, slow, and hanging. But I guess that's for another post.

:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users