Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old hard drive wouldnt detect, new one wont either

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mb17180116

mb17180116

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

About a week ago my old 320gb sata drive starting giving me blue screens and would only be detected by the bios about half the time, so i assumed the drive was about to die and replaced it. New 500gb sata drive worked fine for a week and now its doing the exact same thing, gave a blue screen and took 3 restarts before it was detected by the system. I refuse to believe this could be a coincidence. Im thinking the next logical problem would either be that particular part of the power supply is malfunctioning (tried new sata cord and molex to sata power adapter) or the motherboard is having problems with the sata ports (tried switching ports by the way) My question is have any of you had a similar problem? Is there anything else that could be causing this problem? The next cheapest thing to try i guess would to buy a sata card to rule out sata port problems. Im trying to keep this cheap because im completely upgrading to a quad core system in 2 months.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

First thing I would ask, is SATA Set up as AHCI? Or as Legacy IDE? Legacy IDE should only be used if absolutely necessary as it's known to cause some issues like this.
If you're set up as AHCI and it's doing this, I would recommend a BIOS update, but you'll want to be careful if attempting this as it can BRICK your computer.

These options can be found in your BIOS.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

I would look in a different direction.

RAM and CMOS battery issues can make a system behave abnormally...and there are chances that you have several situations posted in Events Viewer that you need to take care of.

My first step would be to see what clues lie in Event Viewer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#4 mb17180116

mb17180116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

First thing I would ask, is SATA Set up as AHCI? Or as Legacy IDE? Legacy IDE should only be used if absolutely necessary as it's known to cause some issues like this.
If you're set up as AHCI and it's doing this, I would recommend a BIOS update, but you'll want to be careful if attempting this as it can BRICK your computer.

These options can be found in your BIOS.

Checked through my bios and didnt find any of the settings you mentioned. I could only chose whether or not i was setting up RAID. I might go for a bios update if i can find one, and ill check the RAM also for problems.

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

I had a similar problem on an older Seagate 160GB IDE. It even started making the dreaded "click." I thought the drive was dying, as it would sometimes blue screen or disappear when I was using it as a 2nd drive. It sat on a shelf for a year or two, but on a whim I put it back in the same pc, but with a better power supply. It's been in use for almost 2 months now with no issues.

Your problem most likely isn't a power supply problem like mine, but just in case, I thought I'd share. It's weird seeing some of the problems that power supplies can cause....

#6 mb17180116

mb17180116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

Just a thought....my motherboard only has SATA 1.5 ports....i never added the jumpers to my hard drives to make it run in 1.5 mode, i just assumed that if i left it on 3.0 and it showed up, then there wouldnt be a problem....would it be possible that this is causing my problems?

#7 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Shouldn't hurt to try. If you don't have another MB to test with, you might as well try. Steal a jumper from an old IDE drive... I already lost my microscopic jumper that came with my Seagate 500gb - I could barely even see it! Just out of curiosity, what MB and HD are you using?

#8 mb17180116

mb17180116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

Shouldn't hurt to try. If you don't have another MB to test with, you might as well try. Steal a jumper from an old IDE drive... I already lost my microscopic jumper that came with my Seagate 500gb - I could barely even see it! Just out of curiosity, what MB and HD are you using?

MSI PM8M-V Motherboard and WDC WD5000AACS 500 gb Western Digital hard drive.

Im thinking maybe since the board is pretty old, it doesnt know how to automatically use the drive in 1.5 like newer systems. I found a jumper from an old hard drive and im going to put it in tomorrow and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users