Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winweb Security - help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yoshi2802

yoshi2802

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

Hello: I followed the directions on the BleepingComputer site regarding removal of Winweb Security. I've run the Malwarebyte's malware scan 2 times now. Both times it says 4 objects are infected and 'removes' them, but the Winweb Security icon is still in my Taskbar, and the popups continue. What am I doing wrong? It is driving me crazy! Our computer is only 2 months old and we bought the ESET NOD32 Antivirus software (were told by several folks it was the best)- but it does not seem to have noticed this WinWeb Security thing at all. We used to have Norton and some other sort of Antispyware (can't recall what it was though)- and never had any problems!
Thank you for your help!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 December 2008 - 09:39 PM.
Move from HiJack This forum to Am I Infected. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yoshi2802

yoshi2802
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Problem fixed! (hopefully!!)

I had a chance to read through some of the other postings on Winweb issues; ran the Malwarebyte's Update, then quick scan, which found 5 items but didn't stop Winweb. Then ran the SuperAntiSpyware (which found 166 problems!), rebooted when requested, and then did the Malwarebyte's quick scan again. Seems to have removed ithat pesky Winweb along with a whole lot of other things.

I have Windows XP, NOD32, and a firewall. Suggestions for software to download to help keep this from happening in the future??? Am a novice at this sort of thing. I've seen a lot about Ad-Aware...Anything else? THANKS so much for this site-- it's a lifesaver!!! : )

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

Do you hav an Antivirus installed? Keep those 2 and update and scan weekly.
Install Spywareblaster - prevents spyware from being installed on your PC
See Spyware Removal ..here Freeware Replacements

If you're certain the malware is gone than..
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

Edited by boopme, 10 December 2008 - 11:45 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

PCWorld Review of Eset NOD32

looks ok for what-is-this preliminary diagnotic scans but I would want something a bit more polished to lead my onboard security team.

MBAM, SAS, and AAW: all good, and all 4 (incl Eset) are predominantly anti-spy/adware, with MBAM being the most comprehensive Anti-malware of the group.

IMHO: AVG, Avast, Avira are all good for real time protection. Avoid Norton's even though it's a good product as XP tends not to like it all that much; same for McAfee.

Make sure you have all your WIN updates (think twice about SP 3 it's improved greatly over its initial release but its not quite perfect yet, but have AT LEAST SP 2) and take Internet Explorer to Version 7 to improve surf security and system stability.

Make certain all anti-malware products (incl AV) are fully updated at least WEEKLY. Actually open the program and hit update. And if you install multiple only have one actually RUNNING in real time as they may conflict with each other. Run all the others manually (or "on demand"); like updating do it weekly if not more often.

few tips:

If you get an email from an address you do not recognize just hit delete. don't even open it. (and don't use outlook, etc to retreive email as they dl infected attachments too). If the email winds up legit, the sender will ask if you got it; if it's not legit -- it's gone right? so no worries ;)

Do not click on links in email unless you are CERTAIN the sender can be trusted and that they MEANT to send you a link. Also do not download email attachments until you verify that they MEANT to send you one - a lot of bugs self replicate and spread this way.

Do not click on random pop-ups online no matter how tempting the offer...If it's too good to be true then it's probably not.

If you have an instant messenger service DO NOT respond to messages from screen names you don't recognize, and certainly do not click on any hyperlinks they message to you.

When downloading files from the internet do NOT simply hit "run". Download and SAVE (preferably to desktop for quick access) then SCAN with the anti-malware programs to be sure. once it checks out double click it to open and install.

See also: BC: The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online and BC: How Did I Get Infected? w/tips to prevent recurrence

hope this helps! Good Luck and Safe Surfing!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users