Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with Artifacting and Monitor prompting into power-saving mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bt83yahi

bt83yahi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hey all,

I think I have a fun one for you'all! Here are a few of my specs:

GeForce XFX 7600 GT VGA
1 gig kingston ddr2 ram on dual channels
mobo with no onboard vid
core 2 duo p4 2.something
I run WINDOWS XP

If you all need more info than that about my specs, just let me know and I'll take a look.

Ok, so a while back I was having some issues with my computer crashing while I played video games. I decided that the problem might be a shotty power source, which I had seen a few people comment on about my tower on forums. I put in the new power-supply (a nice looking 450W), and the issues disappeared. Then, I updated my graphics card drivers to the newer nvidia drivers, and shortly after, was having issues with artificating. I would be playing a game (Left 4 Dead for example), and then my game would freeze up, and when it became unlagged, I had major artificating. This continued on for a little while well I tried to restart to solve the issue. Eventually, it got to the point where now, when I restart my computer, the WINDOWS start-up screen shows major artifacting (blue lines vertical on my screen). I can get as far as the windows screen with the bar that has the *loading* bar going across the screen, and then my monitor prompts into power-saving mode which I can't get it out of. I have been able to run my comp out of SAFE mode, but that's about the extent of what I can do.

In terms of what I've already tried, I've tried putting in another different set of sticks of memory. I've tried running the comp in safe mode, uninstalling the vid drivers, and trying to re-install them after the old ones have been wiped. This allowed me to start my computer and start to download the new drivers, until my computer faithfully decided to revert back to artifacting.. I'll see if I can get a SS of this to post in the new little while.

Any help would be lovely, I really don't know where to start, and would prefer not to have to purchase another comp. This one I speak of above is under 2 years old.

Thanks,
bt`

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bt83yahi

bt83yahi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

Nope, I can't take an SS of the artificating, because it's in my start-up menu and the only time I see it is when I start windows normally. And the only time I can use the internet or start my computer up properly is when I'm in Safe Mode...

#3 bt83yahi

bt83yahi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

Some news! Ok I made a LITTLE progress but I'm not sure how much. I opened in safe-mode, cleared my graphics drivers, and then restarted the comp. Artifacting on start-up was gone! So I go to nvidia.com and download the newest WHQL cert'ed driver for my GeForce 7 series vid card ( GF XFX 7600GT VGA ), and install. It asks me to restart, to which I do, and then upon restart the artificating is back! Blast! Any ideas?

#4 bt83yahi

bt83yahi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

Ok on the list of things to try.

1) try old drivers
2) unplug, and replug graphics card in a new slot
3) update the chipset drivers for mobo
4) update the flash bios

If 1 doesn't work, I'll move to the next. If ANYONE has other suggestions, I'm all for it, but I'd like to avoid the flash bios part....

#5 bt83yahi

bt83yahi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

bump. no one has any suggestions??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users