Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Most Important Question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

looking online there are a few questions being ducked or ignored by those in the know. these are the ones we would like to know :huh:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=574
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen00

Zen00

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

From my reading, most of those questions will be answered as Windows 7 is further developed, no cause for alarm there.
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Microsoft hasn't firmed up the answers to most of these questions. Remember the system specifications hassle with Vista - it didn't come out until shortly before the final release. (and it turned out that the laptop I'd been using with the Vista beta didn't meet the minimum specs that were published).

Very little is written in stone right now, but that little bit is covered by the Microsoft NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:42 AM

I think the core of Windows 7 is that of Vista, or more accurately Vista SP2. I've heard that Microsoft is only including in the Beta's the features that are completely finished. I hope that the Ultimate Extras debacle in Vista, mainly that there aren't many extras, convinces Microsoft to give a discount on Windows 7 to those customers who purchased the most expensive version of Vista.

3939.png

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

What I can't figure out is question #8 What rock did all these people running Windows 7 turn over that they have this thing to run? ;)

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

They paid to attend the PDC conference this year. It was given out there - Windows 7 build M3
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dave09

dave09

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

Ive got a copy of Windows 7, beta or alpha or whatever it is, Installed and ran perfectly and it found and installed drivers for everything connected to my computer except for my tv tuner, Looks pretty much the same as vista tbh except the control panel has a different layout, there is no sidebar but you can still use gadgets, new version of mediaplayer, IE, media center and paint, ive seen pics of windows 7 that had a mac style taskbar, my copy didnt have that, it was the same as vista's, the OS seems a bit more responsive than vista aswell.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

Remember that the new taskbar is restricted to certain users, mainly those in the Microsoft domain. Here's an article about it.

3939.png

#9 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

They paid to attend the PDC conference this year. It was given out there - Windows 7 build M3

I see. Thanks. :huh:

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#10 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:18 AM

I think the core of Windows 7 is that of Vista, or more accurately Vista SP2. I've heard that Microsoft is only including in the Beta's the features that are completely finished. I hope that the Ultimate Extras debacle in Vista, mainly that there aren't many extras, convinces Microsoft to give a discount on Windows 7 to those customers who purchased the most expensive version of Vista.

Yes DJ: I recently bought Vista Ultimate $300.00 plus dollars! I'm not happy about that.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

Yes DJ: I recently bought Vista Ultimate $300.00 plus dollars! I'm not happy about that.

I take it you didn't get the OEM edition...

3939.png

#12 PedroDaGr8

PedroDaGr8

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

I had a friend who works for MS gave me Vista Ultimate, as a gift, when it first came out. You don't want to know how little he paid for it ($45 I think he said).

#13 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

tehe, just stumbled over this: "Windows 7 Should be a Fixta Free For All" (via ZDNet).

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#14 Vile Shadow

Vile Shadow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

1. Editions: Windows 7 will likely come in 3 Editions Home, Business and Ultimate

2. Cost: Cheaper than Vista I'm 90% sure it will be around $100 AUD something like that anyway Vista Home Premium is around $150 so something along those tracks

3. Requirements: Minimum: 1GB RAM, 2.0 GHz CPU Speed, Disk space I'm not quite sure maybe 6GB Random Guess
Recommended: 2GB RAM 2.6 GHz CPU Speed, 12GB again random guess

4. Windows Live Apps: Go look on the site they are all on there are no secret programs.

5. Public Beta: Well duhhh! its out in a few days

6. Shipping: 2010 seems to be the minimum date to ship since they are giving a year to get rid of bugs and do tweaks.

7. Why 7?: Well go look at Vista's Build number it's 6 now think again why they called it Windows 7.

These are guesses using data that has been collected of the net and thinking how MS would think

Windows 7 may just look like Vista Version 2 but under where all the programming is there has been a lot done from scratch and redone such as Windows Explorer.
I think Windows 7 will be a great success as MS has learned from there mistakes in Windows Vista its just Trial and Error People. :huh:

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:20 AM

Where did you get that information? Obviously, the public beta is well...public but the pricing data is not known. According to Microsoft journalists Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott, the pace of development for the OS is brisk. I would imagine it shouldn't take too long seeing how they aren't including, in the Beta, features that aren't near complete. Besides, Windows 7 is essentially Vista with a slightly different UI. Many of the under-the-hood changes that were made happened in Vista.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users