Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet after running free malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tracydanger

tracydanger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

New here with not much computer experience.

A few weeks ago while on Facebook I opened something and it seems that I've had computer issues ever since. Mainly was being redirected every time I did a Google search. Lots of pop-ups and that fake 2009 windows antivirus software thing popped up once too, and it was impossible to cancel out of it! So, started asking questions on how to get rid of a trojan virus on Yahoo Answers. I decided to try some free malware/adware removal programs that were suggested.

I first tried ad aware with no relief from the virus, but my computer did "speed up". Then I tried defragmenting and cleaning the registry. I then tried SuperAnti-Spyware. After running this one and deleting my "infections" I have not been able to connect to the internet.

We use Windows XP and have DSL connnection. When I try to use Internet Explorer (not sure which version) I get the "IE cannot display webpage" page. I then click on the option that says "diagnose connection problem" which leads to a "Network diagnostics" box. In this box I click the 'next' button and the error message reads: "Windows cannot connect to the net using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by Firewall settings on this computer. Check the Firewall settings for HTTP port 80, HTTPS 443, or FTP 21. You might need to contact your ISP or manufacturer..."

I have tried making some changes to our Firewall settings but nothing has worked. All I have done is enabled the UPnP network functionality by checking and the later unchecking this box. I have not tried to add any ports b/c I'm not sure what I am doing for sure and if it is safe. We are able to use our laptop without any problems with same DSL connection cable.

Right now, I'd just like to get back to internet access and then I will try to tackle the virus issue again....

Thanks!

Edited by tracydanger, 09 December 2008 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

Run this scan. You can copy it over from another computer if you need to:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users