Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Should It Be Legal

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Should it be legal to backup your dvd's (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Should it be legal to backup your dvd's

1. YES (124 votes [92.54%])

Percentage of vote: 92.54%

2. NO (10 votes [7.46%])

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:48 PM

Well since they came back again saying it's illegal to make up even backup's of your own personal dvd's that you bought! I can see renting dvd's taking em home and burning them :thumbsup: being illegal. But not somthing I spent my money on! And dont like my son if he get's his hands on the dvd and scracthes it and have to buy another. What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:54 PM

Brunt ill be first to vote and post here tonight! Ok my opinion is a comin! Ok amen i mean what if a kid or even yes you scratched or broke a 22.00 dvd you just got and not even scratch remover would help! I would be mad. And if i had a dvd burner why is it illegal to brun my own copy! Hurry get your dvd burner drive now before it comes illegal! LOL But as for the nut who made that up then he should worry more about the economy than petty things like this......

#3 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:52 AM

hmmmmm.....it was okay...legal, even, to tape a movie on your vcr....they made recorders just for the PURPOSE of copying your videotape...

why then, is it now, all of a sudden...illegal? and, pray tell...what the H**L is the difference? or am i being obtuse, here? for...what...20 years, it was ok, but, now that we're copying onto a cd....we're gonna slap your hands? hmmmmm.....i smell something VERRRRRY odd in this whole thing....

damgud :thumbsup:

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:06 AM

Wow i liked that post and never thought about it that way. AMEN MAN im with ya there!

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:29 AM

Am I wrong or isnt that what the DVD R is for?
Posted Image

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:41 AM

Hugh?

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:24 PM

Actually it is for making backups of "home" movies ie from your camcorder. But we all know what we use em for! And evevery time we buy a cd/r or dvd/r money goes to all the major motion picture companies and certain riaa groups, so were paying little extra I think its a dime a cd, and .20cents for a dvd/r

#8 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:55 PM

So what's new?

Did you ever notice on the radio that they rarely tell you what the next tune will be? They usually list them after they play them. And very frequently they talk or play an advertisement over the beginning or end of a tune? Eons ago they did not do that. It is a deliberate programming technique to discourage recording from radio broadcasts.

Did you ever notice that MS has gone to a registration system for software? Another attempt to stop duplication.

Bet you the Pharoahs had some kind of controls over all those scribes making duplicate copies of papyrus scrolls. :thumbsup:

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:03 PM

So many good points! But not all stations do that copy over end of song!

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

If Im not mistaken (and I dont think I am, because Im reading it verbatum), it says 'for private home use only.' on the insert of movies. Now, a backup of your own home movies would fall under this 'limitation'.

Not to go on a tangent on this question, but how does rental businesses get away with selling the previously viewed movies? Would this fall under the same idea that an owner is re-selling the movie to someone else? We all know the next logical arguement would be here, but it would be the same thing. If the industry stopped doing this practice from happening, then it could very easily put a damper on the sales. One report I read a couple of years ago stated that PVM(Previously Viewed Movies) account for over 50% of the sales.

Is it legal to back a back-up of your DVD movies? 100% YES

Is it legal to make 1000s of back-ups of DVD movies to sell to your friends? 100% NO

I think it is up to the movie industry to figure out a way to prevent too many copies being made. When they do, then this debate will be just a part of the past.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

Wow another good point!!!

#12 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:17 PM

Nothey came congress came back saying it is illegal to eben make up backup copies now! I agree with the rental places! But they pay a big premium for a movie! Dont know if that counts like for a dvd thery pay like 100 to 130 dollars for it!

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:25 PM

If we want to adhere to stricted morality, which is how these issues should be discussed regardless of what we personally do, here is my take:

Well lets be honest. Who actually makes backups of their movies that are on dvd's? I would say the percentage is mightly small. Most people who say they are making backups are really saying i want to copy dvd's that i dont own. Should that be illegal ? Absolutely ... its copyrighted material and there you have no right to make a copy of it.

I think a ruling as broad measure is inappropriate, as there is nothing illegal in my eyes about making backups. it would be illegal if you would lend out that backup while you retained the current one in your household. I just do not think thats appropriate.

As for comparing it to vcr's that is completely different. VCR's were created to tape tv for later watching. To use them for renting a tape and then copying it was illegal back then as well. So this whole copying issue has been around for a long while. Hey even copy music tapes was considered illegal.

The internet with its endless amount of bandwidth has just surged these issues into the forefront as it is easy to download a movie or download a whole album of music. The issues themselves are very old though.

So should it be legal to backup dvds that you own, and will never lend out, yes. Should it be legal to do anything else that revolves around copying them..no.

Just my opinion :thumbsup:

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:20 AM

Good point but..........your right who here that owns a cdrw drive can honestly say that they havent copied a disk that they dont own?? Same with a dvrw,vhs anything.

#15 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:24 PM

i, for one, have NEVER copied a movie from a DVD that i do not own...

HOWEVER....i do plead guilty to having a premium channel (or ..3..)..and i plead guilty to paying to watch new movie releases..and...HORRORS!! yes, i even plead guilty to having made a copy of that movie...onto a cd...so...what am i guilty of? i have made no other copies, yes, i have loaned it out, no i have not made so much as a dime from it. where, exactly, does that put me?

damgud :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users