Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Unexpectedly shuts off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

Well, I have been having issues left and right with my bleeping computer. Finally, it was time to reinstall my OS. (The problem I am having was happening before the reinstall as well)

So, with a brand spanking new installation of XP Pro, SP3, I'm having this problem:

My computer monitor will unexpectedly shut off when ever I'm trying to run a "graphic intensive application." By graphic intensive, I mean something as simple as google maps, or this particular tutoring program I use. Nothing like video games or anything of that sort. Anyway, sometimes the monitors will come back on, and sometimes they wont. It a total crap shoot as to weather I'll have to reboot my computer to get them back or not.

I am running dual monitors, and both of them shut off at the same time. So I doubt it is a monitor problem.

I am running a ATI Radeon 9600 with all the latest drivers as my video card.

My Motherboard is an nvidia-nforce2.

Using dxdiag from the "run" window, I've tested my directx 7,8,and 9, and it said everything was working fine. I also tested directdraw with no errors.

Any ideas as to why my monitors are shutting off? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

Here are a couple quick updates on what I've learned. . . Maybe this will help with diagnosing the problem.

My problem SEEMS to only occur when I am running applications on my second Monitor. Edit: Nevermind, it just happened when I ran my tutoring program on the primary monitor. When I run dxdiag, it doesn't even give me an option to run directX tests on display 2. Is it a directX problem? How can I get it so it works on both monitors? Anyway, just thought I'd update everyone!

Thanks again!
Trevor

Edited by trevzilla, 09 December 2008 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users