Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acronis true image 11 question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

I believe my computer has a virus or something so I might have to reinstall it's OS. I made an image of my HD sunday and placed it on an external usb HD which was not connected to my PC when the infection occurred. I used acronis true image 11.

For those of you who have used this software in the past, how do I go about getting my PC back to the way it was before the infection. Do I have to reinstall my OS, then install ATI 11 on the pc again, then just hock up my external HD and then copy my E: drive (external HD) to my C: drive internal HD)? If not that, how do I do it? TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Can I please get some help with this.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

Have you taken steps to determine for sure if your system has a virus?

Is the image of the system from before you suspect it was infected with a virus? An image made after an infection is in place will be no help at all, it will include the infection and will restore the same infected system.

If the image is from before you feel the infection occurred, did you create an Acronis boot CD? If not, in TrueImage, choose the Create Bootable Media tool and write a bootable CD. Since you suspect the computer may have a virus, you may wish to create the recovery CD on another computer just to be safe.

Once you have (or if you already have) bootable media, boot the computer from the CD with the external drive containing the image connected to the system. If offered the choice of Safe or Full versions, choose Full.

When the Acronis recovery environment boots up, you can choose to restore from an image - locate the image on the external drive and choose to have it restored to the system's original internal drive. That drive will then be returned to exactly how it was when the image was made.

If the image you made was after the suspected infection, you won't be able to use it to generate an uninfected system drive. You would have to reformat and re-install Windows, or confirm and clean the infection from the existing installation.

Edited by Platypus, 09 December 2008 - 07:22 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

Yes, the image was made before it was infected. I ran kaspersky full scan after the image was made and it was clean. So do you think I should go ahead and do so and will be OK?

thx

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

What should I look for to know it is complete? First time doing this.

thx

#6 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

When I click source drive with ATI of D: the "next" option is grayed out even if I high lite it. What do I need to do now, please? I see all my files that are on my c: drive and 1 file called mybackup1.tib which I selected but when I high lite that it says it is not an ATI home archieve.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:06 AM

So I gather the .tib file is on the D: partition of your hard drive, but when you run the Image Restore wizard, you can highlight the file in the tree in the left-hand pane, but the report in the right-hand pane doesn't acknowledge it as valid?

When you created the image, did you choose to Validate the Image backup? If not, choose the Validate Image tool, and direct it to the .tib file. If it says the image is not valid, and that is the only copy of the image, then you'll be unable to restore the system.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

I have done mirror image restores with TI 11 both from XP and the Acronis Linux boot disc. I noticed that last time I did a image restore from my USB external using the boot disc that all the drive letters were identified differently. I couldn't understand why it would not let me restore the image to C which was greyed out. When I looked closer I realized that C and D were reversed, selected to restore to D and it correctly restored my C image to the correct place.

By the way when you make any backups you can select validate backup by manually selecting options rather than using the default options. It will validate the back up this way when the image is done so you can see immediately see if it was validated. You can also change the default settings for options by clicking the top menu item tools, options, default backup options, additional settings then check the validate backup. It should now validate the back up without having to manually set the options every time. I do not understand why the factory setting does not automatically validate the backups. The importance of validating backups as they are made cannot be understated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users