Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro - shared files and shutdown issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Todd Warren

Todd Warren

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

I'm new to Hijack this and to this site, so thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I have a peer-to-peer network with 3 Windows XP PRO Pcs. One of these functions as a "server". This is where the shared files are located. When a client PC access some MS FrontPage files from the server via a mapped network drive, he can usually open the files, however when he tries to make any changes and save the files back to the "server" PC, the PC locks up and the user can't do anything else on his PC until he restarts. (At this point, he also restarts the server and it seems to then allow him to then be able to access the files again.) However, when he makes changes and tries to save them back, it locks up again. On the "server" PC, no symptoms are noticable.

I have tried to update NIC drivers on both ends, we have replaced/upgraded the routre from a Linksys BEFSR41 to a Netgear FVS318 with no change. I have run a malwarebytes antimalware scan against both PCs with only minor problems being detected. I do have hijackthis logs for both PCs if you think they would be helpful.

Both PCs are running Norton Antivirus 16.1.0.33 (I don't see a version number other than this.). I have configured Norton to not scan the files from the mapped network drive.

Additionally on the "server", when the user locks up these shared files (and for that matter, when they normally shut down every day), the "server" PC will lock up on the windows is shutting down screen until you hard power it off or pull the plug. I'm not sure if this is related to the file share lock up issue or is an issue unto itself.

Thanks for any help. I am trying to save them*Todd Warren from reformatting the "server" PC.

Todd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:28 AM

Hi Todd Warren,

Did this network ever work? Is this a new problem? The HJT logs would allow a cursory view of the two computers which may or may not give an indication of malware. Before you post them, I would suggest asking a moderator to move this thread to the Networking Forum because people viewing that forum will have the most experience with the kinds of problems you're describing. I'm not sure it's a problem that is specific to XP.

Zllio

#3 Todd Warren

Todd Warren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

I posted this in the networking forum. Thanks for the suggestion.

I haven't found a solution for this problem yet.

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users