Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive damage? I have to initialize it!?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J-son

J-son

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

I got a new hard drive, and I did a clean installation of windows on my new hard drive.

My old hard drive was partitioned in two. I backed up everything I wanted on my D partition, and I used a linux bootcd to reformat the C partition. Now, I booted into my new hard drive with a clean installation of windows, and I tried to access the old hard drive partitions. At first it worked (I could see the empty C partition and the full D partition), and I wanted to reformat the C (now it's the G partition) from within windows because linux only did a quick format. It froze halfway through, and now it doesn't recognize the drive, and when I go to computer management -> disk management it says it's unallocated and I need to initialize it using either MBR or GPT.

From what I understand, initializing it will erase everything. The D partition has ALL MY STUFF!

Are there any recovery tools? What can I do?

if I lost everything on my D hard drive I'm going to cry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 J-son

J-son
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

OMG I fixed it. It no longer says it's unallocated and I can now access it.

My question now is, is it a failing hard drive?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

I suggest moving your files from the drive...then running a manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive (total).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t28744.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users