Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mdk-Columbus

mdk-Columbus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

Okay I'll do my best describing this. I get to the log on screen enter my info and then the screen goes black. However I am still able to access my PC if I use Ctrl+Alt+Del and pull up the task manager. I then select new task and browse to access what I want. It's weird then I will have tab or windows open along the bottom of the screen but I am still unable to see a desk top. I"m using this computer now.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hello,
open the task manager click on file and then type explorer and see if the desktop comes up.
Unfortunately a desktop not loading is usually (but not always) malware on your system.

#3 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

insert your windows cd and do a chkdsk /r in the repair console.
If that dont fix it do the install repair vs (insted of taking the repair option the first time take install then you get one more repair option that will reinstall windows over the old and you keep your programs and settings, but you need to update windows after.)
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

It could as simple as this:
A corrupted user profile. It happens for reasons unknown.
I've had it happen several times. My solution-a system restore back to time just before the issue began.
You might want to try system restore before you do anything else.
Open up task manager. In Applications tab, click New Task.
Type in restore. The restore folder will open. Look for rstrui.
Click on it, system restore will open. Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time.
Select a date as close to just before the issue started, follow the prompts.
Your computer will reboot. If the restore is successful, your desktop should show up.

If you cannot access system restore using the above method, reboot your computer and start it in safe mode. Log on using the administrator account. From Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools. Choose System Restore.

After you get your desktop back, scan with your antivirus and malware scanners. It is possible that your problem is caused by an infection. You can also post about your issues in the Bleeping Computer Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Include as many details about your problem as you can.
Someone will guide you through the process to find out if your system is infected and assist you in cleaning your computer if it is infected.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 December 2008 - 12:49 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

In XP most black screen issues are related to disk problems or video drivers. Since you're able to get into Windows without issue (other than the black screen) I'd suspect the video drivers

Can you boot into Safe Mode? To do this, tap the F8 key repeatedly just before the Windows splash screen shows up. If so (and if the desktop shows up) that would tend to confirm the video drivers as the issue (since they don't load in Safe Mode).

If that's the case, then uninstall your video drivers while in Safe Mode. Then you should be able to boot into Windows in normal mode (but the display won't look quite right. Then go to the website of the manufacturer of your video chipset and download the latest drivers from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users