Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Keeps Shutting Off - Can this be fixed?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

I have a brother all-in-one scanner, printer, fax machine. Model 420 CN.

Normally I keep it on 24/7, but recently, I turned it off in order to plug something else in. When I went to plug it back in, the screen immediately said "shutting down" and then after a few seconds "shutting down after jobs complete" and then turned itself off.

I unplugged and plugged back in several times, the same thing kept happening, just kept shutting off.

I tried pressing various buttons, but it shuts down right after I plug it in, so nothing seems to help no matter which button I try. Also, I can't turn it on with the on/off button anymore. The only way for me to turn it on is to unplug and then plug back in.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is the machine basically broken? Has anyone ever heard of this problem before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Have you tried a 'Hard Reset'? The link to the Brother site for manuals was down when I tried but if you have a manual, the info may be in there.

Usually, to do a hard reset you hold down a couple of buttons while plugging the unit in. Just about every All-in-One has that feature available in one form or another.

Good luck.

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Uninstall/reinstall yet?

If not, remove old drivers, reinstall from manufacturer's website.

Louis

#4 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

Yes, I tried reinstalling the drivers to no avail. However, I did try the hard reset and that worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the idea, I was about to go buy a new printer and now I'm back in business!!

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Cool! :thumbsup:

Always glad to help. :huh:

DR

#6 seychellian

seychellian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:09 AM

Yes, I tried reinstalling the drivers to no avail. However, I did try the hard reset and that worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the idea, I was about to go buy a new printer and now I'm back in business!!

Hi sunnyAZ,

I am having the same problem as you. Problem is I cannot work out to do a hard reset on my printer.

Are you able to tell me what you did?

Have you tried a 'Hard Reset'? The link to the Brother site for manuals was down when I tried but if you have a manual, the info may be in there.

Usually, to do a hard reset you hold down a couple of buttons while plugging the unit in. Just about every All-in-One has that feature available in one form or another.

Good luck.

DR

Hi DR, if you know also I would appreciate it.

My printer is a Brother MFC-J6720DW

#7 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for information guys, my friends printer has the same mistake so I will forward him your solution !!! Keep up with great work ;)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

@seychellian.

The reset for your printer is shown in the manual here.

#9 robertnp

robertnp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:54 AM

I just had this same message on my Brother MFC-J6920DW - but it has only one button to press.  But I followed Fiorentino's  advice about there must be a way to do a hard reset.  Took a couple of hours, and you won't believe it, but this worked:

1. Unplug the printer for at least 10 minutes.
2. Take out all printer trays.
3. Hold down the on/off button
4. Plug in the power - when you hear the start up music, stop pressing the power button.
5. Act on all prompts - in my case it said no station ID and offered Close. So I pressed close.
6. "Insert paper trays" - so I did.
7. My low ink screen came up - pressed the red X
8. All good.

I think that "All functions will be disabled" is someone's poorly programmed error handler that has rolled all the way to the top!

You may have thrown the printer away by now, but at least the answer is here in case someone else has the problem.

Thank you Fiorentino for the prompt.

Edited by robertnp, 22 May 2015 - 03:56 AM.

#10 jandsford

jandsford

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

Unplug the printer, wait about 1 minute, plug back in. when the message shutting down all functions disabled goes away and the next message to hit the on/off button comes up, hold the on/off button for about 3 seconds. This has to be done as soon as the message appears and it should turn the printer back on. It does on mine anyway.

#11 yecintron

yecintron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:45 AM

You are my hero! In my case, i can't turn off my printer manually because it goves me the promt window: "all functions will be disable" and then it never can be turn on again. The only thing that worked was this hard reset!!! Eternaly thankful! 😃

I just had this same message on my Brother MFC-J6920DW - but it has only one button to press.  But I followed 

Fiorentino's  

advice about there must be a way to do a hard reset.  Took a couple of hours, and you won't believe it, but this worked:

4. Plug in the power - when you hear the start up music, stop pressing the power button.

5. Act on all prompts - in my case it said no station ID and offered Close. So I pressed close.

8. All good.

I think that "All functions will be disabled" is someone's poorly programmed error handler that has rolled all the way to the top!

You may have thrown the printer away by now, but at least the answer is here in case someone else has the problem.

#12 Tonicho

Tonicho

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

Many thanks - same problem with the Brother MFC-J6520DW printer - resolved at last by using the extraordinary strategy proposed by rigacci, jandsford and others!

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

"...if not, remove old drivers, reinstall from manufacturer's website."  -- Hamlius

It still wouldn't hurt to download all available drivers and such from the manufacturer and simply store that stuff in a folder, maybe also on a usb or dvd.  That way, if drivers are needed, you already have them.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 June 2016 - 08:36 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#14 gaiusgracchus

gaiusgracchus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

I just had this same message on my Brother MFC-J6920DW - but it has only one button to press.  But I followed Fiorentino's  advice about there must be a way to do a hard reset.  Took a couple of hours, and you won't believe it, but this worked:

8. All good.

We thought this was a really odd solution - like why would it matter that the trays were out?   Well, we'd tried everything else, including replacing ink with brand new cartridges -- and lo and behold, Robertnp's solution worked.

Now, that is not to say the printer is fixed, since if we power it down it still does not want to come up, and a regular hard reset (holding power button while plugging power cord in after leaving unplugged for a few minutes) would still result in the immediate shutdown.

It seems possible that the reason leaving the trays out works is that the error code we are hitting that was programmed originally is being bypassed by the "tray's are out" errors, so when you put the trays back in it does not go back to the original "we are going to die and are shutting down now immediately" error.

Just a guess.   But it serves as a temporary fix, anyway.

Thanks, Robertnp!

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,678 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

There's a lot to be said about following a manual and the good old fashioned "reboot".  Most if not all printers have some sort of processor in them, with a reduced number of in puts and outputs it runs pretty fast.  Often a factory reset, a hidden button behind a hidden hole on a back panel, usually near a power connection but some are inside on a main board and an access panel allows operation.  Removing power and allowing for idle times of up to thirty minutes will allow residual voltages to drain to zero and a full reset will result. Annoying as each mfgr has their own little tricks.  HP likes to use holding certain buttons/keys on power up to access menus or control systems. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users