Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issue: Can't boot without XP Cd in drive.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Raymond42c

Raymond42c

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

Here is a new one for me.
History:
No recent upgrades.
Sata harddrive installed with Windows only, no partitions, no dual boot. etc. (basic machine)
Additional Sata harddrive installed as backup/additional space. No OS installed on it, just use it to store music/pics/etc.
Standard XP pro installed, nothing fancy.

Problem:
When powering on the last few days I get the "Boot disk not found, please insert system disk" error (may not be exact wording)
Then computer just sits there.
If I put in the XP disk, it starts to boot from CD and gives the "push any key to boot..." message. But, if I just sit there and do nothing, it boots into XP just fine and everything is there, all programs run fine etc. etc. life is good.

Question:
WTF?! is wrong with my computer. :thumbsup:

Additional helpful info maybe:
Was playing with Bios to see if the HD just unplugged (done that once when dog hit the comp) and it didn't seem to recognize that there was a HD where the HD should have been. Another great mystery to me.
My one thought is that my HD may just be getting on the dead side. Its about 2years old, left on a lot and I probably abuse the crap out of it with my multitasking and stuff.

Any help, as always will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I suspect that your BIOS boot options...still list the optical drive first. It's easy to check :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users