Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Users not able to map network drive normally in Windows Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 happydude

happydude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

I just set up a Windows Server 2003 64-bit system with six users on a workgroup. Five of the users have Windows 2000 Pro and one has Windows XP.
On all six when I map a network drive I can only map it if I put in the servers user name administrator and its password. When the computers restart it asks for the username and password of the mapped drive.
I have given full control to everyone in both the security and sharing tabs of the shared network drive.

How can I map a network drive without asking for a username and password? Thank you for looking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hi, as you have the folders shared create a logon script for each user. So in each user profile, in the logon script, create a bat file in there so when they logon they will get their mapped drives.
So lets say you created a folder called test and you want to map it:
In the run box type:
\\server name\netlogon
server name being the name of your server
create a new text doc..then type in
NET USE X: \\server name\test
save it as a .bat file e.g. test.bat
Now in AD users and computer in the users log on scipt just type in test.bat
On the users work station deleate the mapped drives that are in there and in a command prompt type in gpupdate \force
you will have to log off and on then they will have their mapped drives.

Edited by Monty007, 09 December 2008 - 06:12 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 happydude

happydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

Thank you Monty007.

So lets say you created a folder called test and you want to map it:
In the run box type: - where is this run box located? On the server or on a users computer?
\\server name\netlogon
server name being the name of your server

create a new text doc..then type in will I save this .bat file on the server? If so, where would be the best place to save it?
NET USE X: \\server name\test
Now in AD users and computer in the users log on scipt just type in test.bat what would be the path of this login script?
On the users work station deleate the mapped drives that are in there and in a command prompt type in gpupdate \force
you will have to log off and on then they will have their mapped drives

Thank you for your help.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

Hi, all work is done on the server.
So you have to create a folder on your server and share it, call it test. Then place a txt. doc in it (any thing "hi")
Where is this run box located? on the server>start run
Will I save this .bat file on the server? If so, where would be the best place to save it? Yes you will save it as a bat file > Save it here: (type this in the run box)
\\server name\netlogon (NET USE X: \\server name\test)
I assume you have AD installed: Go to the user in> users & computers>Profile>logon script>then type in the name of the logon script
test.bat
When the user logs on they should get there mapped drive, if not open a command prompt on the work station and type in gpupdate /force
log off if asked to.
MCP
MSDST

#5 happydude

happydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

Thanks again Monty007. I will give it a shot tomorrow.
I will let you know how it goes. Cheers!

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

I just set up a Windows Server 2003 64-bit system with six users on a workgroup. Five of the users have Windows 2000 Pro and one has Windows XP.
On all six when I map a network drive I can only map it if I put in the servers user name administrator and its password. When the computers restart it asks for the username and password of the mapped drive.
I have given full control to everyone in both the security and sharing tabs of the shared network drive.

How can I map a network drive without asking for a username and password? Thank you for looking.

You need to install Active Directory.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users