Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this at all possible?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

I have a game that usually asks for a 2.3 Ghz processor, I'm running a duo-core 2.0

Is it at all possible to use both cores to get better performance?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

It depends on whether or not the game was programmed to take advantage of multiple processors/cores. A lot of modern games are multithreaded, meaning they will take advantage of it, but most older games are not unfortunately. The best way to find out would be to check the publisher's site as they usually post such info about the games specific specs and requirements. And of course, the video card you're running will play a key role as well, and with many games can make a world of difference, even if your processor is a bit on the slow side. I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

Is their any way to LEGALLY modify an application or a processor setting so you can hyper thread any application you'd like?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

Nope, and there really isn't an illegal one either unless you had the source code for the game and were a programmer. For normal use, a dual or quad core processor is only good for multitasking, that being said, since you are running a game on top of an OS along with whatever background processes may be running like antivirus etc, a dual or quad core processor can give you better gaming performance, even for games that aren't multithreaded because you have an extra core to handle all the tasks your computer is running.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, I have noticed a great increase of performance ever since I upgraded from a single core, I plan on building a quad core gaming pc hopefully in a little bit.

Well, thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

#6 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

You're welcome, and fear not, many of the new games are using hardware accelerated physics effects which pretty much require a multicore CPU to handle the load. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users