Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux/WinXP Boot Problem "Black Screen"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 morth

morth

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:03 AM

I'm currently having a Boot problem with Windows XP.
The other night i was watching youtube videos and a random Command Prompt popped up and my computer started making noises i got got scared and rebooted.
When i tried to reboot it would go to a black screen and not boot.
only allows me to get on linux.

Whats wrong?

I'm Currently Dualboot - Linux "Ubuntu & Windows XP"
when i get to the boot window i select windows and it says starting up.. for a couple ms and then BAAM! it goes to a black blank screen, only way out is to reboot.
first thing that came to my head was boot cd - chkdsk well..
booting from a cd doesnt go well either, Press any key to Continue... (Anykey*) then Checking PC Hardware or something.. few moments later BAAM! it goes to a black blank screen, only way out is to reboot.

Floppy Disk - Chkdsk doesnt work so i tried Scandisk - got this issue "You Cannot Check or Repair drive C because it was created by using INTERLINK.

Btw the Linux and Windows is on the Same hard drive.

Okay so Windows wont boot? not a problem!... WRONG
Boot into Linux Perfectly fine, might as well just make Backup of the Windows and Reformat.
well the WindowsXP Drive is there but said it couldn't mount.. Details said "Unclean Shutdown"
some hours later and a few smacks to the case WindowsXP Opens but blank folder.. it says the right space is being used and free but its empty..

i tried a few things out people trying to help me on IRC - #ubuntu & #Windows, Bleepingcomputer.

Nothing seems to work.
Btw im new to Linux so if you're going to post me commands im gunna need you to hold my hand :thumbsup: thanks.

Btw heres some more information just incase if it helps.

"sudo fdisk -l"

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xcff2cff2

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 4864 39070048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 4865 9729 39078112+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 4865 9524 37431418+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 9525 9729 1646631 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Thank you.
Morth

PS: If it cannot be fixed is there away to make backup to the files? - i have important files on my WinXP and i really dont want to lose them.
i think im going to invest in a External Hard drive and make backup ever so often.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 breakfastcereal

breakfastcereal

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

It's odd to me that booting to a CD does not work, while linux does. Any new hardware? Any recent power outages or anything? By your "BAM" description, it sounds pretty sudden, which leads me to suspect a video problem. Are you running a video card or onboard video? If you have a video card, does your computer have onboard video? Check your BIOS settings. Some BIOS like you to specify whether video should be going out of onboard, AGP/PCIe, or PCI. Sometimes the BIOS can "forget" what you had it set on, especially if you had a power surge or its battery is nearing the end of its life. or solar flares, whatever.

Also, what CD are you trying to boot from? Is it possible its problematic as well? Can you access the cd drive in linux? All cables to the CD drive secure? Do you have another CD drive you can try to install to see if the drive itself is the problem? If nothing else, can you bring your hard drive to another computer and read it as a slave or boot to a drive recovery disk?

If you can, download and burn a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ It has a plethora of disk utilities you can play with to try and access your data if a reformat is necessary. If you can get your XP CD to boot, then I would also try the XP recovery to make sure all your boot files are in order.

Just a few suggestions! I hope something helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users