Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Help and Support

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 therocher

therocher

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:39 AM

When I go to START and WINDOWS Help and Support and click on it I get nothing. The wait indicator (hour glass) comes on very briefly and then nothing.

What to do, what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:53 AM

WARNING:
This is a registry edit.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry, before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article.)

Try this:
kellys-korner
Restore Help and Support Service - #235, on the Left
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

Alternative method:

Press the WINKEY and F1 at the same time.
(WINKEY is the start key)

The only other thing I can think of:
You may have to allow Help and Support in your firewall. Check your firewall to see if Help Center is blocked.

TG makes the best suggestion. Alternate method can be used if you are uncomfortable editing the registry.

#4 therocher

therocher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:32 AM

tg1911

I printed the instructions to back up the registry for XP.

When I go to RUN, enter the System Root address and click on OK, I get a box that says System Restore. It is blank. It does not say Welcome and there is no message that asks about turning on System Restore???????

Queen-Evie

When I press the START key and F1 at the same time I get a wait indicator for a bit and then nothing happens. I still can't access Help?????

Thank you both so much for your patience and assistance.

Peter

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

Could you check your Services, under the Startup Type column, and see what it says for:
Help and Support
System Restore Service
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

To get to Services:
Start / Run / type in; services.msc / OK
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 therocher

therocher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

tg1911

Thanx for your reply.

Help and Support and System Restore Service have a startup type as "Automatic"

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) as a startup type as "Manual"

Thanx,

Peter

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

Are you able to access System Restore?
If so, create a new restore point, exit System Restore, then access it again to make sure your new restore point is there.
If everything is OK, continue with the Restore Help and Support Service edit, I linked to.

#8 therocher

therocher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

tg1911

What I said earlier still holds. I get a "System Restore" box but it is totally blank. Can't do anything with it.

Thanx,

Peter

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Are you trying to access it using the directions in the MS article, or are you using:
Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore

Do you get the same results with both?

#10 therocher

therocher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for your patience.

I get the same result (bland Systems Restore box) either way.

Peter

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

Try manually backing up the Registry:

Start / Run / type in: regedit / OK
The Registry Editor opens.
In the Toolbar, at the top, click File.
Select Export.
The Export Registry File dialog box appears.
At the top, in the Save in drop-down menu, select Desktop.
In the File Name field, type Backup.
At the bottom, in the Export range section, select All.
Click Save.

NOTE:
To restore the registry, double click on the backup file you just created, and follow the prompts.
After trying the reg file I posted earlier, and you experience no system problems, delete this file, to prevent you from accidentally restoring an old registry, at a later date.

Edited by tg1911, 10 December 2008 - 12:29 AM.

#12 therocher

therocher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

tg1911

I followed your last instruction and now have "backup" on my desktop. Good.

Next I went to Kelly's-Korner and clicked on #235. It gave me what it calls a Windows Registry Editor that is totally incomprehensible to me. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do next?????

Thanx,

Peter

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

Go to the page I linked to.
Scroll down to #235.
Right-click the one on the Left (Restore Help and Support Service).

If using Firefox, select Save Link As...
If using Internet Explorer, select Save Target As...

There's no need to change the name, just save it to your Desktop.
Go to your Desktop and look for a file named, helpnsupport.reg.
Double-click it.
Windows will ask if you're sure you want to Add the information to the Registry.
Click Yes.

You can delete the file, when you're through with it.

#14 therocher

therocher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:29 AM

tg1911

Thank you for your continuing support and patience. I mean it.

Everything went as you directed until I double clicked on the Helpnsupport.reg icon on the desktop. Nowhere was there a question from Windows asking if I wanted to add the information to the Registry.

What I did get was a box with the title: "Helpnsupport.reg - Notepad". It is filled with what look like Registry entries like Hkey_Classes.......... , etc. The title is "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00".

There is one line in it that might be indicative of something but I certainly am not sure. It is: ""Description"="Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.""

My goodness. Couldn't they make Windows a little more User Friendly?

Peter

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

You're quite welcome, therocher.
Just wish your computer wasn't so ornery. :thumbsup:

That's odd, that double-clicking opens it up in Notepad, instead of running it.
Is this what the file on your desktop looks like:

Posted Image

When you right-click it, is Merge one of the options?
If it is, select that, and try running it that way.

There is one line in it that might be indicative of something but I certainly am not sure. It is: ""Description"="Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.""

Yeah, that's what I was checking back in post #5.

Edited by tg1911, 12 December 2008 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users