Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop doesn't see new external drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cosmiccostello

cosmiccostello

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

I bought an external HD enclosure today so as to keep the files from an old internal laptop hard drive for use with my new laptop. Enclosure is a Rosewill medium grade USB model from NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16817182145).

Assembling the drive into the external enclosure was easy, but when I hook it up to my XP laptop or my Vista laptop neither "sees" the external drive. There is no driver disc and AFAIK from the Rosewill website there is no driver download file associated with this enclosure.

The HD inside the enclosure is a 2.5" IDE Samsung Spinpoint Model Number MP0603H. I can't find drivers for this on Samsung's site, either, nor on any driver sites I've found.

I've never worked with external drives before so I have no idea what's going on (or rather not going on).

I've read about "initializing" via the disk management, but as far as my disk manager is concerned there just isn't anything new attached to either my XP or Vista laptop.

Ideally someone can tell me how to make this old internal IDE hard drive in a new external enclosure work with a new Vista laptop. I'll accept getting it to work on an XP machine - either way I can retrieve the files. Obviously I don't want to format the drive since the point of all this is to be able to have all the old files from a kaput computer.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Rob

Edited by cosmiccostello, 09 December 2008 - 02:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

First go to the Control Panel and open Device Manager. Click on the + by USB controllers and look for any yellow exclamation points that will indicate problems. If there are, remove the offenders and reboot the computer so Windows will reinstall them.
You also might want to make sure the drive is mounted in the case properly and securely
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cosmiccostello

cosmiccostello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

Unfortunately, I just checked and no exclamation points exist in Device Manager. Is possible that I need some new USB driver? That seems strange since no other USB device has required such a thing.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:32 PM

Jumper settings?

My experience with enclosures was that some had preferences for jumper settings and/or file systems.

Louis

#5 cosmiccostello

cosmiccostello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

I've tried all the various jumper settings and no love. The LED lights up (and changes brightness) and I can feel the disk spinning inside the hard drive (this is with it hooked up but not inside the outer shell, obviously).

Nothing. This is seriously annoying me. All indicators seem to be that the enclosure's hardware is working and that the drive hardware is working, but according to Windows I simply haven't plugged anything new onto my computer(s).

I don't see a new device in Device Manager, I don't see a new hard drive via Computer Management, I don't see anything.

Rob

#6 pidr1nhu

pidr1nhu

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have been searching that issue...and some posts talk about partitioning your hdd enclosure driver in order to be recognized.

#7 cosmiccostello

cosmiccostello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:22 PM

Pidr -

Can you explain (or link me to) what you mean by partitioning the HD enclosure? I understand partitioning a hard drive, but not partitioning the enclosure.

Also, no new unpartitioned drive space appears in the Computer (storage) Management consule, so it is not like I am "seeing" the drive in Management but not in Windows Explorer. I'm just not seeing anything at all.

Lastly, I'm not married to the external enclosure. If anyone has an idea on how I could retrieve files from an IDE 2.5" internal disk drive I'm happy to hear it. If there is some way I can connect the old laptop up to a new one and copy files I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I can't see anything on the old laptop because the internal monitor is physically broken (smashed) and the video card seems to no longer function for hooking up an external monitor. So I can't set up the old laptop (with the drive that has the files on it) for network sharing of folders because I can't navigate in Windows to do it since I can't see anything.

Ugh.

#8 cosmiccostello

cosmiccostello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

I finally remembered I had another 2.5" IDE drive available to me so I tested it in the enclosure. Worked perfectly.

So I'm left with the conclusion that the drive I was trying to save files from is simply kaput.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users