Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Koobface Virus and AntiSpyware 2009 Virus Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 princessissues

princessissues

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

Downloaded the AntiSpyware 2009 virus in November 2008 and thought that it was removed with Malware Bytes via safemode. Two weeks later (12~3~08) Koobface was downloaded via FaceBook. Used Malware Bytes to remove the Koobface. Once it was removed (or so I thought) my sytem immediately went into the restart mode. Upon restart I no longer had internet connection and once again found the Ron Tool MXLivemedia (AntiSpyware 2009) program in my Add/Remove programs via the Control Panel. I removed them (so I think) by deleting the program. I then attempted a re~store and it would not allow me to re~store to any highlighted dates and there were no longer and dates beyond November 2008.

The next day I hard wired at my place of business and was able to access my Outlook, but Internet Explorer. I could also not boot in safe mode. I ran a Pre~Boot Diagnostics and ran the long version and there were no errors. I tried the set up and it showed all settings seemed fine. I tried to again open in safe mode and it would not give me that option. However, after many attempts, it all of a sudden allowed me to boot in safe mode (nothing but the general safe mode~could not do networking or anything else). The safe mode would not allow me to run any anti~virus/spyware scans nor connect to the internet AND would not allow me to remove any programs. The safe mode was not the standard safe mode either. It was very strange looking.

I took the hard drive to a local and highly recommended computer clinic and they were able to restore my drivers to allow me to gain internet explorer. They also downloaded AVG Anti~Virus/Spyware; Registry First Aid and removed several other Trojans that had attacked my system. They returned the hard drive to me after hey put it back into my system and tried several other measures to get this crazy thing working properly. Unfortunately after three hours at $150 per hour, I couldn't allow them to do anything more.

I removed a few obvious issues via the AVG scan, but I believe that my system is STILL Infected. I downloaded the HiJack This via Trend Micro, but am not qualified to know what is safe to remove from that and would not attempt this anyway without guidance from someone who knew what they were doing.

If someone could read my HiJack This log and help me in any way, I would really be appreciative.
:thumbsup:
Darlene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Use SAS free to find and remove the malware. If you are still having problems booting into safe mode, run it first in regular mode.

http://www.superantispyware.com/ Works best at finding and removing the malware when scan is run in SAFE MODE AFTER INSTALLING.

Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free from the link above.

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the
definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates".
* Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
* Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under
Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
* Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner
Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
o Close browsers before scanning.
o Scan for tracking cookies.
o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

* Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
* To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
o Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
o Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
* Click Close to exit the program.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 princessissues

princessissues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

Ran the SuperAntispyware as instructed, please see attached below. Thank you so much for helping me.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 12/09/2008 at 06:50 PM

Application Version : 4.23.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 3668
Trace Rules Database Version: 1647

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:03:46

Memory items scanned : 201
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5989
Registry threats detected : 3
File items scanned : 106043
File threats detected : 25

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@revsci[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@casalemedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@bs.serving-sys[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Darlene Bristow\Cookies\darlene_bristow@serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Casey Bristow\Cookies\casey_bristow@ad.associatedcontent[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Casey Bristow\Cookies\casey_bristow@centralmediaserver[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Casey Bristow\Cookies\casey_bristow@collective-media[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Casey Bristow\Cookies\casey_bristow@interclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Casey Bristow\Cookies\casey_bristow@media6degrees[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@adinterax[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@ads.telegraph.co[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@adserver.adtechus[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@cdnh.tremormedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@collective-media[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@interclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@media6degrees[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@sales.liveperson[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@sales.liveperson[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@specificmedia[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Bristow\Cookies\rick_bristow@track.cbs[1].txt

Rogue.Component/Trace
HKU\S-1-5-21-1939600273-566760651-4203601877-1006\Software\93810957067065495006718195833949\Options
HKU\S-1-5-21-1939600273-566760651-4203601877-1006\Software\93810957067065495006718195833949\Options#Aff
HKU\S-1-5-21-1939600273-566760651-4203601877-1006\Software\93810957067065495006718195833949

Trace.Known Threat Sources
C:\Documents and Settings\Casey Bristow\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6TCFAPSX\Y08N6CAYY6D04CAZYJ5WUCA16QNBRCAGQKAT8CATN7D2ICAF41W4BCADT7SH4CAUFXUSLCAGH6MR4CA8PDEUMCA8IMEA2CAFUU1TBCAC0SO8SCA443T75CAFL2XCNCA8PFAKVCAVXZ2VSCA2IVR4H.jpg
Darlene

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

Do another scan with MBAM. The instructions for using it are in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=944365

Use Ccleaner to remove temporary files, logs, etc. During install you will be offered the Yahoo Toolbar. UNcheck if not wanted.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Let Secunia online scanner scan your programs for missing security updates that will prevent them being exploited. After updating Java go to ADD/Remove and remove ALL old Java programs.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Post back with the MBAM log and let us know how the computer is running after completing above.

Edited by buddy215, 10 December 2008 - 07:38 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 princessissues

princessissues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

Here are the results from the latest MBAM Scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1482
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/10/2008 12:07:13 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-10 (12-07-13).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 92133
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

The Secunia Scan detected two serious threats. I am running the solutions now (downloads from Microsoft). Once I reboot from those, I am going to delete the Service Pack 3 and run these again. The system is still very slow. What would you like for me to post once those steps have been taken? (The scans after Service Pack 3 has been removed) :thumbsup:
Darlene

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

I am not following you on deleting service pack 3. Why download it if you are not going to install it?

Slowness could be caused by too many programs running at startup. No need for any except your firewall, antivirus, antispyware.
Programs such as media players, instant messengers, Adobe Reader, Microsoft office programs, etc. do not need to in startup. They will make themselves available when needed.

With all of the installing of security programs, updates, etc. your harddrive needs defragmenting.

Your computer may be malware free but as a last check you should run an online scan using Kaspersky online scanner. It won't remove what it finds but will give you a log that you can post here if it finds anything other than cookies.
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

You can delete all of your restore points and run Ccleaner before defragging. Some are infected and the only way to remove the infected ones is to delete all.
Here is BC's tutorials on how to do that if needed.
Vista---http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-system-restore-guide/
XP------http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

A good program to have around is WinPatrol. It is a lightweight that will warn you if changes are attempted in your registry and you can lock down your host file with it, too. Another feature it has is that you can control which programs are allowed to run at startup. It has other features and uses, too. (And Free) http://www.winpatrol.com/

#7 princessissues

princessissues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

I ran the HJThis log and have posted it in the proper forum. Thanks so much Buddy. :thumbsup:

Edited by princessissues, 10 December 2008 - 07:23 PM.

Darlene

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hello princessissues,

Now that you have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185693/antispyware-virus-2009-and-koobface/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users