Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Appreciated

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy_O

Crazy_O

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

Here is my story. I have screwed my pc up a little bit through my own stupid choices; like trying to delete programs without knowing what they are. First, though, here is my system if it helps.

Vista Home Premium….Dell Inspiron 1525….Intel Core 2 Duo CPU t5550 @ 1.83 GHZ….3062 MB Ram

Problem 1: Windows Defender. Every time I try to open Windows Defender, I get:

“Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.”

I tried d/ling the latest version from the Microsoft website but they will not let me because I have Vista. Help?

Problem 2: Downloading programs. Sometimes programs fail downloading or will not download at all. Like, I tried to download the Windows tool to clean up half-downloaded programs but no dice. Also, I have the same problem with Yahoo Instant messenger made specifically for Vista. What could cause this?

Problem 3: Uninstalling programs. I cannot uninstall a few programs like Registry Cleaner from PC Tools, but it is not just that program. They just fail halfway through and I have to reboot them to try it again, but it never works.

Problem 4: At startup, I get a few banners that pop up from old programs. I think if we solve number 2 and 3 then I will be able to fix this problem myself.

Thanks in advance to everyone; I really appreciate any and all help that you could give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:20 AM

Here is my story. I have screwed my pc up a little bit through my own stupid choices; like trying to delete programs without knowing what they are.

Hi Crazy_O

You may be able to get some help by doing a scan which allows your computer search for missing files. The instructions for that are here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the above doesn't help, then there are repair options for Vista, but they will only be available if you followed the backup instructions when you first got your computer. An article about this can be found here: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista...air_options.htm

Do either of these help?

Zllio

#3 Crazy_O

Crazy_O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

After following the instructions in the first link, this is what I came up with.

Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log.

I can't figure out the 2nd half of the instructions, though. Here's what I'm enteering into the command prompt after running it as admin...
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Thanks, BTW.

#4 Crazy_O

Crazy_O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

In fact, forget all of the other problems right now. The bug thing that I want back is to be able to download programs effectively.

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

Hi Crazy O

Did you try the second link for the repair instructions? When you did the scan, did you use a recovery disk? If you don't have a recovery disk, you can find the download links at the following website which is in German, but you'll see the links - one for 32, the other for 64bi - in the first post. If you click on this link you'll see that the access to this forum is delayed by an intermediate window encouraging you to register for the forum which then goes away and transfers you on to the forum. Since this requires a download, if you decide to make this, you'll need to create the ISO disk on a different computer. http://www.go-vista.de/forum/systemtools/vista-recovery-cd/

The content of the above link states basically - that when your Vista no longer runs smoothly, you can repair it with the installation disk. Some manufacturers however, don't deliver computers with either an installation or a repair disk. Because of this, this forum offers the two options for a recovery disk. These must be burned with an ISO image capability of something like Nero. You cannot use it to install Vista, but only for repair.

Zllio

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

Can you upload a copy of the CBS.log? It'll be located at C:\Windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Crazy_O

Crazy_O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

Zllio

Hi Crazy O

Did you try the second link for the repair instructions? When you did the scan, did you use a recovery disk? If you don't have a recovery disk, you can find the download links at the following website which is in German, but you'll see the links - one for 32, the other for 64bi - in the first post. If you click on this link you'll see that the access to this forum is delayed by an intermediate window encouraging you to register for the forum which then goes away and transfers you on to the forum. Since this requires a download, if you decide to make this, you'll need to create the ISO disk on a different computer. http://www.go-vista.de/forum/systemtools/vista-recovery-cd/

The content of the above link states basically - that when your Vista no longer runs smoothly, you can repair it with the installation disk. Some manufacturers however, don't deliver computers with either an installation or a repair disk. Because of this, this forum offers the two options for a recovery disk. These must be burned with an ISO image capability of something like Nero. You cannot use it to install Vista, but only for repair.

Zllio

So:
Register for forum.
Get onto the forum on a different computer.
D/L the Repair Disk
Use a drive to get this onto my PC and then run the Repair?
Will I lose any of my data with this method?

I can't open the previous CBS log...it trys to open up with notepad and the notepad displays a prompt that says access is denied.

Thank you all for helping me with my computer.

#8 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:59 AM

A repair option will not damage your data, however, I'm more familiar with XP than Vista, so I would like to suggest one more bit of reading before you continue. This concerns doing a repair depending on whether you have SP1 or not and how to procede in the best way:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vist...e_vista_dvd.htm

#9 Crazy_O

Crazy_O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Just did it. It now runs like new! Thank you sooo much!

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

Thanks Crazy_O for reporting back. For our future information, did you end up using any of the above links? It would help to know what ended up working for you?

#11 Crazy_O

Crazy_O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

I used http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista...air_options.htm and then I used to other link for the ISO disk.

#12 hotshot309

hotshot309

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

For anyone coming upon this thread wondering about CBS.log (the file produced after SFC /scannow finishes looking for corrupt system files):

The very simplest way to view CBS.log without messing it up is to log into your system as an administrator and copy CBS.log to your desktop, and then open it. This very simple fix courtesy of this VistaHeads thread. Can you believe this? It's true; I've done it.

Microsoft also provides [url="http://"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228""]an article[/url] describing how to pull useful info out of CBS.log without copying it, and what that information means. This includes the advice given in this thread, where you do
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
at the command line. The problem is that what this command does is find strings in CBS.log starting with that phrase in quotes, and then redirect these strings into another file called sfcdetails.txt (it will create the file if it doesn't exist yet), inside the working directory--meaning whatever directory you are in within the command prompt window when you execute the command. If your command prompt starts with
C:\Windows\System32
at the beginning of the line before the cursor, then that is your working directory, and where sfcdetails.txt will be stored if it isn't there already. Most people giving this advice, and Microsoft's article, neglect to mention this. (Also, in my case--on the contrary to Microsoft's article--sfcdetails.txt does not already exist on my C: drive, even though I've run SFC at least a few times.)

CBS.log's security properties are fairly incomprehensible to me as well. A Microsoft tech was controlling my computer remotely a few days ago while troubleshooting SP1 installation failures on Vista. He tried to help me access CBS.log by merging a registry file that added "Take Ownership" to my file/folder context menu (the little options menu that appears when you right-click a file or folder). I then took ownership of CBS.log and double-clicked on it but still was not allowed to open it. The tech moved on without trying anything else on CBS.log, saying it wasn't important to look at.

I just wanted to post that for anyone else out there wondering about this!

Edited by hotshot309, 08 January 2009 - 10:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users