Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PHENOM 9600 B2 Stepping

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

I just purchased this motherboard and CPU combo and found that the motherboard takes an excruciatingly long time to load.
About 2 to 3 minutes as opposed to 30 seconds to a minute and 1/2 on other boards. (Time to the LOGO screen)

I'm wondering who else has the combination and if they experience the same issue. It seems that AMD and Gigabyte are aware
of problems with the CPU as there is a built in Patch for the PHENOM 9600. This might even be the reason it takes so long to boot.

Does anyone with a Different combination have a different view of boot times?

There also seems to be an Issue with ACC (AMD version of Instant on) It hangs on my graphics card info and doesn't go into the
BIOS. The current Bios from GIGABYTE Seems to be only a CPUID Update without any Platform specific fixes.

What's the deal? Should I return both and get a different combination? What happened to the Stable ATI workhorse that I'm used to?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

I find that boot time is generally governed by software installed, moreso than anything.

The more programs running at boot...the slower the boot.

IMO, nothing needs to run at boot other than MS items, firewall, AV, and other malware-defense programs. Any other type program running is just wasting your time, literally.

Louis

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Right,

However, I'm referring to the time it takes to get to the Motherboard logo screen, not Windows.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

I think the stepping patch will not work to solve the issue since the computer must POST before loading data from the disk. Unless the patch interacts with the BIOS. A BIOS update would solve some issues, such as stepping and CPU ID. From what I've read, the GA-MA790GP-DS4H can be buggy and temperamental. You can try RMAing the board or getting a different one. Is anything unusual happening during the POST which might indicate a problem?

3939.png

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

DJBPace07,

The CPU was overheating and a Thermal event occurred, that sucked. The Stepping Patch is built in to the original Bios which is what I have. I imagine it's buggy due to the odd chipset combo and the overclocking options. BTW I haven't overclocked it and don't plan to. Maybe if I upgrade to the 45nm CPU when available I'll be in good shape.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:53 AM

Perhaps, the new chips should be out January 8th, I think. If it is a motherboard issue, replacing the chip will not be very effective.

3939.png

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

Sorry for being so blind when reading your initial post :thumbsup:.

Well...I think I'd try a BIOS update to correct this, if such exists.

Seems to me that any problems re recognition of hardware are motherboard manufacturer responsibiliities, a basic premise for BIOS updates.

Louis

#8 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

hamuils, When I asked Gigabyte, they said, do the bios update. When I asked AMD they said move up the processor or wait for the new ones to come out.

Oh well.

Time for an RMA/Replacement This is the first time I've had to do this. I thought I'd never run into bad hardware just because my thought is that most
problems are user error. But when you find something like this, it's in my nature to look at the platform and it's features. I still like AMD though.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

Understood :thumbsup:.

I don't RMA motherboards, I just cross them off the list for next purchase.

I've never encountered a defective CPU, although I have managed to do minor damage to one.

To me, it's a motherboard failing, whethr addressed or unaddressed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users