Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system32\shell32.dll

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 semiblue

semiblue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi,

I am running Vista w/sp1 on a presario c762nr
I have a wacom pen tablet and when I go in control panel to open its folder I get....
RunDLL
error loading c:windows\system32\shell32.dll
what do I need to do?

Thank you,
Anita

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

Lots of questions:

Did the wacom pen tablet come with the computer or did you add it later? Has it ever worked? Is the error recent? If the error is recent and your wacom tablet worked before, have you tried resetting your restore points to a date preceding this error message? What firewall are you using?

Zllio

#3 semiblue

semiblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

I added the tablet and it worked before..the error started yesterday as far a I know...I haven't gone in that file for a while. I did do a update to the wacom driver about a week ago
I'm using comodo firewall
I could try a restore point a few days back...

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

Greetings Semiblue,

Please uninstall the Wacom Tablet in Safe Mode, then uninstall the driver, and remove any program files for the Wacom by going to %SystemDrive%\Programs
and deleting the wacom folder. Finally, Delete the Registry key HKLM\Software and delete any Wacom Regesitry entry. PLEASE BE CAREFUL TO BACK UP THE REGISTRY
as Making changes here can cause additional problems if done incorrectly.

Reboot your machine after those steps and re-install the Wacom Tablet. Is the problem fixed?

#5 semiblue

semiblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I have been busy today..but i will do this tomorrow and get back too you then.
Thanks for your time.

#6 semiblue

semiblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

I uninstalled the tablet..I can do without it for now...but I noticed that it isn't just that file that I get the RunDLL error on...it is other files also.

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Finally, Delete the Registry key HKLM\Software and delete any Wacom Regesitry entry.

THIS was a mistake and I apologize. I meant to say the Wacom Subkey contained INSIDE HKLM\SOFTWARE, DO NOT
DELETE THE HKLM\SOFTWARE KEY.

#8 semiblue

semiblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

No problem...I can't find that...I put in regedit and the only thing I find in the Wacom folder is something that says default...no HKLM stuff. I have done a search for anything related to Wacom ...nothing for Wacom and most files seem to have the same rundll error...I'm starting to think it wasn't really my tablet but the dll files and the tablet is just what I noticed first...I let CCleaner do a scan of the registry and it shows a ton of missing dll's I DID NOT click for it to fix....
Thanks

Edited by semiblue, 12 December 2008 - 11:07 AM.

#9 semiblue

semiblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

Just wanted to let you know problem is fixed so you can close this thread.

#10 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

what was the fix?

#11 semiblue

semiblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

I set my Comodo Defense+ Security back to training and that did it...I just recently started using Comodo and may not have left it in training long enough...all seems ok now :huh:

I have a couple of questions...hope it's ok :huh:
should Ad-Aware be running along with Avast...or do I just use Ad-Aware to scan every so often?

And I gave my son my old laptop it's running XP...I think I have it set up pretty good but it seems a little slow...I have run all the virus etc. scans..(I think) what should I post to check and have a hijack this log checked?

Thanks for your time and help...
Have a good day/night...

#12 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Hi semiblue,

Did you end up reinstalling the Wacom Tablet?

AdAware doesn't conflict with Avast.

For your son's computer, I advise starting a thread just for that computer in the Am I Infected forum.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users